Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux Distro for HP NX5000 laptop  (Read 2810 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Linux Distro for HP NX5000 laptop
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »
Requesting your intelligent suggestions for which Linux distro would be the best, meaning most compatible and easy to use on a HP NX5000 laptop that I have inherited and has NO EXISTING OS installed on it.  I don't want to buy any Windows version for it and its primary use will be for my wife to browse the internet via its wireless networking and to run Open Office applications.

Thanks for your input.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline red_orion

• Show only replies by red_orion
Re: Linux Distro for HP NX5000 laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »
I have zenwalk installed on my compaq laptop, it boots and runs faster than windows did.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Re: Linux Distro for HP NX5000 laptop
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:17:38 AM »
Hi,

I use Ubuntu on all my PC computers and on my Toshiba laptop. Works great, automatic updates, easy to install applications (most self install with an add software installer). Ubuntu installs quickly, usually in about 15 to 20 minutes. Comes with latest edition of Open Office, has lots of neat eye candy like beryl if you have a 3D card. Anyhow I like it, it has taken the place of winblows XP and Vista as my main OS. Very stable, had it on my computer now for about a year and a half and no crashes. Almost as much fun as the Amiga. If you join Cedega you can play most of todays windows games on it. Any how give it a try, its free, you can download an ISO image at
www.ubuntu.com. Hope you have a iso burner on your computer.

smerf

I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better