Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New MacBook, most ports eliminated  (Read 3114 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
Re: New MacBook, most ports eliminated
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
I guess only the Macbook line has taken this direction (for now). The Macbook Pro line still remains unchanged and offers more ports, should one need such a solution, so for now there are choices for someone looking to buy an Apple laptop, however who knows what Apple may decide to do once a Macbook Pro update comes along, and if this is in any way an indication of a new trend setting when it comes to their design decisions.

I don't see this solution with only one expansion port as too much of a hindrance for someone using this laptop on the go, and is a fairly average Joe type user, that would benefit mostly from the increased battery life that this unit supposedly offers.

For someone like myself, it would of course drive me nuts. I could never adopt something like the new Macbook as my primary unit. Heck, it even drives me nuts that there is no built in DVD burner anymore on any of the Macbooks/Macbook Pros. :), although this is not strictly an Apple based design direction, but overall any laptop maker decision that we see more and more nowadays.

Call me old school, but I prefer lots of ports on my unit, as for a tinkerer and a computer enthusiast in general, especially when it comes to retro stuff such as Amigas, there will always be a need to burn a CD, transfer something to an SD card, plug in a USB mouse/wireless mouse adapter in a USB port when you work long hours on your computer and are looking for an easier way to deal with clicking and moving the pointer (in my opinion), perform quick backups to an external USB key/hard drive, etc... and most importantly not having to compromise in any way to be able to accomplish all of the above, when ever needed.