Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 7394 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Apple Watch, lol
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
If the device did pulse, BP, Ox levels, other than the same old same old pulse rate / pedometer, then that would be something.

Clearly battery life is a real challenge with these smaller devices even when they only turn on when they need to be on.

Are we there yet?

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Quote from: Duce;786240
It does a lot more than what the competition offers..  The Apple Watch is just about the last watch in the world I'd purchase, but the focus on health on it is head and shoulders above what any of the competition is offering, and it will only get better.  Some people have even argued that the Apple Watch is just a health device masquerading as a watch, and one only has to watch 2 minutes of the Apple press event to see the deep focus they are putting on health.

The upcoming version is still lacking some sensors, but it's best in breed in the smart watch market in regards to health.

It does? Please educate me on the health monitoring features and analytical health insight capabilities of the device and its supporting microcosm?

Press release = 90% BS 10% product.

Don't get me wrong I think its a great piece of trendy tech fitness jewelry. It looks great.

It's not a health device. The specifications and requirements of a certified health device are very different to that of a fitness device.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:38 AM »
Quote from: Duce;786256
If you are unwilling to read a features list or otherwise do not believe it, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.  I'm sure the already released iOS 8.2 update with these said additions in the build logs wouldn't either.

I hate to be blunt here, but things in features lists and press releases/videos, you know - the things that a company like Apple is telling you .....]

I'm not interested in flaming but can I suggest you listen and read what apple are saying again. In all the official articles and videos I have read and seen, which are limited in number. Apple never mention the watch is a medical or even a health device that I have heard/seen. They cleverly only ever mention health in the phrase "Health and Fitness". And they repeat it many times precisely the same way.  Its others who use the term health in isolation.
I don't for a minute suggest that fitness is not an important aspect of hearth or the opposing sedentary lifestyle doesn't have a negative impact on health. Also heartbeat rate can be used in medical determinations especially in the context of activity in the case of the device. All very important aspects.

But diet, genetics/family history and medical conditions all have a major part to play in heath and the health context of an individual; Blood pressure, heart beat pattern graphing(ECG), blood sugar, BMI and weight are also important aspects, all of which are revolutionary features and none of which are natively present.
Of course software can fill some of the gap there but the point I am making is that the watch does not do that natively and offers nothing more as a device than the competitions device at this stage.

That is a missed opportunity dont you think?

Even though its a pretty neat idea. If you have two arms at least.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:07:46 AM by gertsy »