Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has no software ???  (Read 6152 times)

Description:

Offline clusterukTopic starter

Aros has no software ???
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »
I have been hearing for some time that the reason people do not want to use Aros is because of the lack of software. Well I hope to dispel that myths with these three videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FziV2z_uxnQ
Part one is about the Internet based applications, games, file maintenance and viewers and graphics applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs37_nfa5CI
Part two is about the Audio and office applications. Also includes Quick Record which was funded by IMICA project and the new Quick CDRip application coming very soon for 10 euros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59_VvbQR0
Part three is a view of the latest state of the NVidia Gallium 3d/2d drivers from Deadwood showing the video performance especially with the latest update. Massive speed increase and I would guess even my modest machine may be able to run 1080p soon.

Also in part three is a special treat, my first view of the wonderful AMC.

Enjoy

Steve
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline tone007

Re: Aros has no software ???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
..and here's what you'll need if you want to watch the above YouTube videos on AROS! http://archives.aros-exec.org/?function=showfile&file=video/misc/ytd008.i386-aros.lha
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline clusterukTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Quote from: tone007;586221
..and here's what you'll need if you want to watch the above YouTube videos on AROS! http://archives.aros-exec.org/?function=showfile&file=video/misc/ytd008.i386-aros.lha

Thanks for posting that, I mention in the video but not in intro.
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »
I don't use AROS because it doesn't like my GeForce 9500.

Offline deadwood

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;586367
I don't use AROS because it doesn't like my GeForce 9500.

Are you using the Nouveau driver? If so, what is your card ProductID?

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
I tried every option, including the Nouveau driver.  I don't remember the exact error that I got, but it didn't get too far after picking the driver or the display mode.

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
VEN 10DE
DEV 0640

Offline deadwood

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;586374
I tried every option, including the Nouveau driver.  I don't remember the exact error that I got, but it didn't get too far after picking the driver or the display mode.

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
VEN 10DE
DEV 0640

VESA modes were not working as well? Have you tried to boot Icaros or the nightly build downloaded from http://www.aros.org?

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
None of the drivers like my 7300 either, including vesa.  I had to use the onboard GMA.

I am using Icaros.

Offline Xenon

• Show only replies by Xenon
    • http://www.xenonsoft.es
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 02:17:24 AM »
I've enjoyed the videos. Thank you! :)

PS: I don't like google docs :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:59:13 AM by Xenon »
COMMODORE CD32

ESCOM Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MK-IV (68030 50 MHZ - 68882 50 MHZ FPU) - 64 MB RAM - 4 GB 2,5" CF HD - INDIVISION AGA - PCMCIA CF READER - PCMCIA ETHERNET - AMIGA OS 3.9 Boingbag 3

Amiga X86 - AMD Sempron 3000+ -  1,5 GB RAM - 80 GB HD - Nvidia 8400 GS - Icaros Desktop 1.4.5 Patch 01

Offline Xenon

• Show only replies by Xenon
    • http://www.xenonsoft.es
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »
Do you know when AMC will be available for Icaros? :)
COMMODORE CD32

ESCOM Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MK-IV (68030 50 MHZ - 68882 50 MHZ FPU) - 64 MB RAM - 4 GB 2,5" CF HD - INDIVISION AGA - PCMCIA CF READER - PCMCIA ETHERNET - AMIGA OS 3.9 Boingbag 3

Amiga X86 - AMD Sempron 3000+ -  1,5 GB RAM - 80 GB HD - Nvidia 8400 GS - Icaros Desktop 1.4.5 Patch 01

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:32:22 AM »
Makes me wish I hadn't sold my 7600GT video card (or given my 9600GS to a friend's son).
I've got an Athlon64 3200+ (Socket754 single core) processor sitting around w/o an application.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Tension

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:15 AM »
The thing that annoys me about AROS users:

1) Whenever you say "AmigaOS should go x86" they say "AmigaOS has gone x86 and it's called AROS"

2) Then you say "Can I run OctaMED SoundStudio on it then?" and they say "Yes but you need to run UAE"

That just does not compute for me.

An Amiga has to be able to run Amiga software or else it is not an Amiga.

Am I missing something here??

Offline saimon69

• Show only replies by saimon69
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »

1) Whenever you say "AmigaOS should go x86" they say "AmigaOS has gone x86 and it's called AROS"

2) Then you say "Can I run OctaMED SoundStudio on it then?" and they say "Yes but you need to run UAE"

Well, what are you missing is that AROS is on the x86 source code compatible but not binary compatible as instead will be on amiga68k - mean you will be able to run octamed on AROS on the Amiga; for a different architecture like x86 a compatibility layer such as J-UAE or (still in development) Emumiga is required;The latter one is pretty interesting since will be like a JIT interpreter for the Amiga OS system calls to AROS for all those programs that does not bang the hardware directly.

IIRC Octamed uses system gadgets and so should run under emumiga on x86 once the project will be perfectioned enough; otherwise we can hope for a x86 port :)

P.S. i was a protracker user and did my jump on milky, never was able to like octamed interface and commands :P

Saimon69
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:09:13 AM by saimon69 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 05:07:50 AM »
Quote from: Tension;592136

Yes, you're missing the point that the benchmark you've set (for being considered an Amiga) is impossible on anything other than an original Amiga.
Without a 68k processor and compatibility with the original chipsets, every otherOS relies on emulation of some kind.

That's one of the reasons I don't worry about MorphOS not being considered a true Amiga system. It isn't and it wasn't meant to be. It was designed to work with newer hardware and improve on AOS. That couldn't be done w/o sacrificing register level compatibility.

AROS actually may (in the long run) prove to be more compatible with AOS3.x than AOS4.x or MOS (due to its better integration of UAE).

However, with OS compatibility with 3.1, MorphOS and AROS share a common positive you're not considering. Porting software from AOS to these NG systems is relatively easy because the OS' supports the same functions (in fact in the case of MOS even 68K code will work as long as it isn't hardware dependant).

So while many (like you) point to the fact that an NG OS will not run a specific app you're using (w/o emulation) you're overlooking that these software packages (if they were still being developed and supported ) could be easily moved to an NG OS.

I'm not familar with Octamed, but I have seen Audio Evolution (another Amiga music program). Currently, AE is available on AOS, MOS, AROS, Windows and OSX and the non-Amiga versions are more advanced and continue to be developed.

I can't think of too many old software packages (that are no longer supported or continue to be developed) that I have to rely on. So, I'm satisfied with my OS choice (as, I'm sure, are many AROS users).

The only new hardware that would meet your requirements is something like the Natami. That system sounds interesting, but I can't see using one as my primary computer (any more than I could imagine using an original Amiga as my sole computer).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:18:50 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Tension

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;592140
Yes, you're missing the point that the benchmark you've set (for being considered an Amiga) is impossible on anything other than an original Amiga.
Without a 68k processor and compatibility with the original chipsets, every otherOS relies on emulation of some kind.

That's one of the reasons I don't worry about MorphOS not being considered a true Amiga system. It isn't and it wasn't meant to be. It was designed to work with newer hardware and improve on AOS. That couldn't be done w/o sacrificing resister level compatibility.

AROS actually may (in the long run) prove to be more compatible with AOS3.x than AOS4.x or MOS (due to its better integration of UAE).

However, with OS compatibility with 3.1, MorphOS and AROS share a common positive you're not considering. Porting software from AOS to these NG systems is relatively easy because the OS' supports the same functions (in fact in the case of MOS even 68K code will work as long as it isn't hardware dependant).

So while many (like you) point to the fact that an NG OS will not run a specific app you're using (w/o emulation) you're overlooking that these software packages (if they were still being developed and supported ) could be easily moved to an NG OS.

I'm not familar with Octamed, but I have seen Audio Evolution (another Amiga music program). Currently, AE is available on AOS, MOS, AROS, Windows and OSX and the non-Amiga versions are more advanced and continue to be developed.

I can't think of too many old software packages (that are no longer supported or continue to be developed) that I have to rely on. So, I'm satisfied with my OS choice (as, I'm sure, are many AROS users).

The only new hardware that would meet your requirements is something like the Natami. That system sounds interesting, but I can't see using one as my primary computer (any more than I could imagine using an original Amiga as my sole computer).

Yes my ideal Amiga would be a 1 GHz 3.9 setup to be honest.  I just think that if i'm going to be breaking compatibility with my Amiga by using AROS, then I might as well just use Windows instead.