Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21042 times)

Description:

Offline eb15

• Show only replies by eb15
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #344 from previous page: January 13, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
While AROS has "been around" for a long time, its been in a pre-alpha state, and it has only gotten some much needed amiga-ishness implemented or fixed in the last year or so, such as changeable mouse pointer images, the scrolling and dragging screens now available in the native nvidia and intel-950 graphics drivers and a semi-working arexx implementation for applications to use.   So its easy to see where people have tried it and have been disappointed by it.  The windows/ios/android hosted work by sonicamiga and the m68k port work by jason and tony is currently helping to push AROS towards its initial goal of AmigaDOS 3.1 API compatibilities and an ABI-V1 alpha release faster than its ever been moving before.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
ABI-V1 alpha release, when that's reached they will have completed something I have (in the past) doubted would ever be finished.
So yes, I would give AROS the nod as number 2 in that placement (with a real possibility of gaining number 1 position as it improves).
But as all three OS share a common base, I'm not sure its even fair to consider them as competitors, rather there branches of a common tree.
Pick your flavor and run with it.
All seem to have a promising future.
Its hard to believe there are this many options this far after the 'demise' of the Amiga.
For a 'dead' system, there sure is a lot of development going on.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;605589
Like I said, the same people who bitched because Amiga Inc didn't actually do anything will now bitch because CommodoreUSA is doing something.

No, it's not rebuilding the precious dead platform, but does anyone reading this thread REALLY think technology that was dead-ended 16 years ago is worth trying to revive?  I say that we should just enjoy our "classic" platform, or even indulge in one of the new flavors if you really think it worth the aggravation of buggy software and "paying extreme amounts for beta-level hardware", but let's stop deluding ourselves about "the future of the Amiga", shall we?

Wayne
here here l agree 100 % no ones forced to buy anything if they do good on them
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Well, if anyone wants, they can buy my "amiga". Its a generic dual core PC with 4 gigs of RAM, running linux.

The price is only 900 dollars, which is a STEAL in amiga terms, and I'll put amiga stickers on everything.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
Quote from: runequester;606501
Well, if anyone wants, they can buy my "amiga". Its a generic dual core PC with 4 gigs of RAM, running linux.

The price is only 900 dollars, which is a STEAL in amiga terms, and I'll put amiga stickers on everything.

Install AROS on it and I'll give you a one off permission to sell it as an official Commodore Amiga. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Tempest

• Show only replies by Tempest
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »
Quote from: runequester;606501

Only if it comes with Amiwm (real screen dragging since 1996) and Worker installed :)