Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - CD32  (Read 4165 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28

Re: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - CD32
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
@Flashlab

Dude....your crazy. but seriously...load up Fightin Spirit and then load up Elfmania.  Fightin Spirit looks really good and has better resolution than the SNES SSF.

Take that and look at the Smoothness of Elfmania,   now obviously it was that both of these game programmers just didn't have all it takes to make their games complete.

if you combined the Fightin Spirit programmers with the Elfmania programmers.........you would get a Better than SNES SSF2 on an ECS Amiga!  Now add AGA and you got a Killer.

I used to live closeby GAMETEK headquarters (makers of Super Street Fighter 2 TURBO for the Amiga)  let me tell you........these people SUCK at conversions (although not as bad as USGOLD)  ... You can see that the CD32 version looks wayyy better than the SNES, but sucks bigtime in gameplay because GameTek programmers arent that bright, or they just wanted the SSF2T name to sell a game. My SNES owning friends who are SSF2 fanatics admitted to me the CD32 version is definitely way better looking, but the game sucks.

this was because of the sounds lacking and the cheap framerate.

.....its already proven the Amiga can do it with the right team.

again...look at Fightin Spirit, and Elfmania paying attention to the technical trickery and you will see that its possible if both technologies were combined....(Elfmania is only 64 colors but looks like AGA by the way.....just like Ruff-N-Tumble. Also the Elfmania Sprites are large! probably larger than the SSF2 characters in the SNES version..............on top of that the Game only runs in PAL! if you could run it in NTSC mode or if it was made to run in NTSC it would run smoother!  not only that..but if you look at the SNES version, the top and bottom of the screens are cut off for a speed boost!  the Amiga Versions are really large at top and bottom..........had they left out all that and made it the same screen size, things would have ran smoother.

I live my Amiga life even to this day proving to my former SNES owning friends that the Amiga can do it. I recently got into a debate with my cousin about what the Amiga can or cannot do compared to the SNES.

I show them stuff like:

Gaurdian and World OF Commodore Demo for their STARFOX
LionHeart for their ACTRAISER (http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=2007769&sec=IMAGES)
Bubble & Squeak/Zool2/KidChaos for their SUPER MARIO WORLD
X-Treme Racing for their F-Zero
Elfmania/Fightin Spirit/ShadowFighter for their SSF2

I show this to prove that technically the Amiga can do it..even though all the SNES games I mention are more complete and more fun than the Amigas attemtps............this is simply because NINTENDO japanese programmers know how to entertain and make use of gfx, better than most countries.

so in other words.........if Nintendo made the same games for Amiga that they made for the SNES and did it themsleves using the same programmers...........the Amiga versions would be the same or better.

this is usually the case for Amiga games that attemp to make a same type game as the SNES as to why they are not as good...........its because the programming team doesnt have a complete team of talent needed. not at all that they suck........but they are missing personel......quality control if you will.

By the way....check out Pinball Fantasies on the SNES........Garbage!   why?  because Digital Illusions or whoever ported it, didn't know SNES the way they knew Amiga....certainly a SNES can pull off a great looking Pinball Fantasies if it can Do Killer Instinct!

Also look at Chaos Engine/Soldiers Of Fortune on SNES.....again......trash!

this proves my point......its a matter of the worng programmers or lazy programmers.

I wish someone would do Supermario Today on the ECS Amiga......just one level...........the same for World Heroes and SSF2  ....not to sell it but just for show. One Playable level is all I ask. :-) and of course do it better to be that much ahead of the competition to show that the Amiga can do it and more.

EDIT:

Also look at Mr NUTS (Sonic The HedgeHog Speeds) and Brian The Lion (For those SNES style Map SCALING effects) and the Obitus (Psygnosis) intro and map zooming effects.

all these games I have mentioned show some of the technical trickery that the SNES games used quite alot. They named them fancy names like SCALING and Mode7 haha.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »
@SuperTurbo

You got Fightin Spirit ECS version?

I been trying to locate it like a Madman

I usually am told someone found it, but when I recieve it, it turns out to be the AGA version.....which boots up until the Character selection screen on an A600 (Amazing as I thought the screens were AGA) and it runs smooth.  but I dont get to play it because its the AGA version.

Anyone got this elusive ECS version?
 and while we are at it:

Anyone got Ruff-N-Tumble in NTSC?  I have the PAL

and does any Team17 game exist in NTSC form? all mines are PAL

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 12:53:25 AM »
@ LEIRBAG28

Think you missed out one of the most impreesive games (in my opinion) for sounnd and graphics taht ran on A500. Agony

Oh and btw killer instinct was on the N64 not the snes
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
@JJ
Killer Instinct came out for the N64 and the SNES.

Has anyone else seen the recent footage of Street Fighter 4?
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 05:31:21 AM »
Street Fighter 4 looks absolutely terrific.

As for the AGA version of SSFIIT, it did indeed have very pretty graphics (and the fully animated arcade intro), however the playability and lack of animation was awful.

A real shame - requiring a HD, it had the potential to be excellent.  I seem to recall that members of a demo group were hired to produce the game (there is a reference in one of the AGA+HD demos, the name of which escapes me...possibly something by TBL?).

Cheers,
James
x

Offline Reynolds

• Show only replies by Reynolds
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
Nope. The demo group was a hungarian team called Impulse, and you can get info about this product in the demo Voyage in Storm or Muscles, just check the endpart scroll.I can´t remember exactlyin which of this two. It had a Mike Oldfield theme "modulized" beneath it.

I wonder why nobody mentions Capital Punishment in the line of all time best beat´em-ups´list? It has buggy code somehow, but not worse than Fightin´Spirit, which randomly freezed on my A1200 way back the time when it was released.
http://hol.abime.net/2921

Regards,

Reynolds

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 06:59:57 AM »
I hate it when people always put blind devotion to Amiga or any other cult or religion even. It's one of the things that sometimes makes me feel embarrassed that I like the Amiga. People that call other people crazy because they don't agree on something; reminds me of the 8Mb Chip thread actually.

I won't go into details here. All I stated was that I doubt that the CD32 could do a SF2 like the SNES did, is that a crime?
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
Reynolds, thank you - it was indeed the scroller text at the end of Voyage in a Storm - great demo, with chirpy end music, as you say.

Capital Punishment was a terrific beat-em up - arguably the best on the Amiga.  It had an excellent soundtrack, meaty sfx, greaty graphics and animation, and a real sense of 'connecting' with every blow.

Cheers,
James
x

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
@flashlab

no it's no crime and they shouldn't attack you for your opinion :-) I don't understand how ppl feel offended by one's views just because they disagree.... anyway....

SSF2T on AGA/CD32 has everything the arcade has but there is one major problem that destroys everything:
Missing frames

No, I'm not talking about framerate, the actual gfx of at least half the frames are not there in the amiga conversion!
Maybe they couldn't achieve acceptable speed with all the frames there, maybe they were just stupid, but that's the problem. Otherwise, most, if not all, the sfx are there, the audio tracks are there in the cd32 version, the multilayered parallax scrolling on the floor, all the characters, all the tricks.

Now, could that be done properly on a plain A1200 or A500 or the programmers did the best that could be done? The answer is not Elfmania and it's not Fighting Spirit, cuz Elfmania has nowhere near the complex character animation SSF2 has and Fighting Spirit doesn't have the much vaunted perspective scrolling of the floor. The answer is simply:
Shadow Fighter
Look at the perspective scrolling, look at the size of the characters, the complexity of the character animation, the backgrounds moving and the smoothness of gameplay! And it has a hidden turbo mode too! All in a mere 4 disks! It's what SSF2T should be on miggy. So, yes, it could be done, but the programmers should be actually ace! Kudos to NAPA team for giving us at least one hitec amiga beater that no other platform has seen (afaik)!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
I had forgotton all about shadow fighter, was it aga or there was an aga version, my memory very hazy
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »
There were seperate ECS, AGA and also a CD32 version with audio tracks and a big fat bug that reseted the console if both side buttons of cd32 were pushed at once.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »
@FlashLab

I didnt mean anything when I say You are crazy.........I say it in a friendly way, I might have used another word if I was serious.........Im saying it jokingly.......so nevermind, don't take it serious.........and my apologies if you did.

I always say things this way.  

I was the main contender in that 8Mb Chip RAM debate by the way................and I still think it can be done :-)

Don't know if I will be around the Amiga long enough for someone to make the hack though :-)

Did you get to see some of the games I suggested? I want you to check them out because I want to show that Im not just a fanatic....I know the Amiga very very well and thats why I can make those statements about the Amiga being able to do these things.......................thats why many Amigans are so dedicated, because we know what it can do and secretly been hoping the right game programmers would come along and make "THEE" game.

Offline TensionTopic starter

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:10:59 AM »

Vulture wrote:
There were seperate ECS, AGA and also a CD32 version with audio tracks and a big fat bug that reseted the console if both side buttons of cd32 were pushed at once.

Hahaha... They were the good old days - They just don`t make them like that any more.  My personal favourite is the bug in Cannon Fodder CD32`s save routine which wipes the rest of your NV-RAM whilst saving your data.

Priceless.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »
@leirbag

Ah that was you! Anyway no harm done!

Whether it could be done on a plain 1200/CD32 or not the sad fact is we have not got a very good version of SF2 on the Amiga anyway. That's too bad. Good as some of the other games are, SF2 is a timeless classis.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »
I was the main contender in that 8Mb Chip RAM debate by the way................and I still think it can be done

Well, the OS sees no problem with it, perhaps on a special Minimig Edition, The 8Mb Minimig... :-)

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline SuperTurbo

• Show only replies by SuperTurbo
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 27, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »
I'd say that the first sf2 released by us gold is probably the best streetfighter availble on the amiga. At least when playing on a a1200. Could use some extra speed boost though, otherwise its ok.

I recently tried the amiga version of the original streetfighter, and I really can't get WTF they were thinking when releasing that crap. Seems more like a lousy c64 game than an amiga game  :cry: Nowhere near the arcade version...
\\"I´ve got the flag!!\\"