Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atari  (Read 2545 times)

Description:

Atari
« on: December 02, 2002, 01:49:58 AM »
I used to own a 2600 and the company still makes some of the most advanced games out there lead me to wonder why they have not introduced a new machine I mean if microsoft can get away with the xbox then well...anything is possible

Re: Atari
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 02:15:14 AM »
Apparently Avon is selling a self-contained, battery operated, 10-in-1 Atari 2600 joystick system.  The joystick is the console, and plugs directly into the rca jacks of your tv. It has classic games Adventure, Real Sports Volleyball, Gravitar, Video Olympics, Circus Atari, Yar's Revenge, Asteroids, Centipede, Breakout, and Missile Command.

Heres a link to it from slashdot

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 02:21:38 AM »
I saw that on TV.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 02:40:16 AM »
I used to own a 2600 and the company still makes some of the most advanced games out there lead me to wonder why they have not introduced a new machine I mean if microsoft can get away with the xbox then well...anything is possible

Well, not really.... Atari is not anything more than a name which was purchased by budget games distributor Infogrames at a fire-sale type price.  As far as I know, the Atari team, and all associated hardware/software knowledge was lost, and they do nothing more than stamp the logo on other's work, now.

There's an article about it in Atari Times

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 02:56:04 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame that Atart is just a logo, now.  The last "real" Atari game was San Fransisco Rush (arcade version), because the developers borrowed a lot of stuff from Hard Drivin'.

I mean, the Atari logo even shows up in Unreal Tournament 2003!  What's up with that?!

:-o

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 03:35:14 AM »
It is interesting the lastest craze of useing modern tech to take what used to be big or seperarte ie atari and 10 game and compressit down to fit in an joystick another exzample of this was eniac on chip or something like that

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 03:45:56 AM »
Aahh the Atari ST was the last true system to even give Amiga a run for its money. Oh yes back in their heyday, they were a force to be reckoned with. The endless debates in the school yard about ST vs Amiga. Ahh the memories, the rivalries... Thankyou Atari you may be defunct as a real company but I'll never forget my 2600 and the happy times.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline WalkernyRanger

• Show only replies by WalkernyRanger
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 03:53:05 AM »
Infogrames, a very large French game publisher, purchased the Atari name to bring it back.  They realized the name still was recognized by gamers, so they plan to slowly change their name to Atari.