Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?  (Read 9445 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Ive said it a few times before, but Im still pretty intrigued about seeing some games made for at least moderately upgraded aga machines that suit its strengths . Yes, it (aga) may have been a little more moderate an upgrade over ocs/ecs than it could/should have been, but even ocs/ecs provided some impressive results sometimes, with a cpu 10 times+ slower, and running inside much less, and slower ram. I can see no reason why something akin to the sega 32x's versions of Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, etc. couldnt be achieved on an expanded 68k/aga syetm (not that there's are exactly the "strengths" I referred to earlier, more a reference to the game Khephren linked to) .
With the 68k side of the amiga being somewhat active in recent times (minimig/natami/aros68k) I've still not given up hope on seeing a game or two written to take advantage of a higher lowest denominator than in the Amigas heyday.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:33:43 AM »
Yeah, but things like fps arent really suited to AGA. Sure there have been some decent fps shooters, but AGA handles flat polygons much better than texture mapping, not to mention the potential for "impressive" 2d stuff (even 68000/ecs did stuff like elfmania for example).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
FPU could absolutely make a big difference for a polygonal game. Additionally the amigas blitter can be used as well for fill patterns. Another pro for this type of game on the amiga is that it could operate largely inside fast ram and chip be reserved for the actual displaying of the polygons + sound. Again I use Segas 32x as a good point of reference. It was all software rendered and it's graphics fill rates are possibly even inferior to that of the Amiga.

Edit: those gba and archimedes specs are very far from accurate. A GBA resolution is 240x160 = 38400 pixels vs 320x200/320x256 (64000/81920), which is between 45 and 60 percent of the pixel count. A massive difference to the 25% quoted. As for the 8mhz cpu in early archimedes, its probably closer to 2x raw performance of the 68000 cpu in an a500, not to mention the fact that risc architectures often require more instructions for same end result as a cisc cpu.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:08:02 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
Ah, No Second Prize, great game once you get used to controls  :) (theyre quite touchy).

Hypothetically, what heavy(er) polygonal games would people be interested in ? A racer seems the obvious one, but personally Id also like to see a Virtua Fighters style beat 'em up and an updated Elite style game.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
roughly:
68000 = 0.1mips per mhz
68030 = 0.3mips per mhz
68040 = 1.1mips per mhz
68060 = 1.33mips per mhz

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »
I see a lot of references to c2p use lately, but it's really not necessary, and Id suggest even counter productive for some stuff. Up to 32/64 colors , even using polygon based gfx can probably be made more efficient without it, even higher color depths in the right hands for the right type of softwre.