Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS (only) system!  (Read 4010 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaFreakTopic starter

• Show all replies
AROS (only) system!
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
Hey guys!

I've just bought a PC from my sister and I installed ICAROS v 1.3.3 as the only OS on the hdd. I must say I am loving it, and it works great! - This happens to be the only PC in my apartment, so there is no M$ Windows. :-D - (I never liked M$ from day one as a child...) anywho, those who haven't tried AROS, you should!

Josh!
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

• Show all replies
Re: AROS (only) system!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
:-D

I'm using (I think it's called) OWeb as my WWW browser. It's simple, but I like simplicity. I'm using NoWinEd as my editor, and a couple other simple editors for coding in NASM, BASIC, PERL. My computer has one of those generic Realtek NIC cards and it works fine in AROS, and I am glad for that! :)
-- Joshua E. Horn

• Show all replies
Re: AROS (only) system!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
Quote from: paolone;679272
Great accomplisment. I'm happy and somehow proud you're enjoying it. I am considering removing windows as well from my netbook, or resizing its partition to the minimum, since I noticed I am using Icaros all the time. I have limited Windows to tasks I can't perform on AROS due to the fact that a Citrix client for AROS doesn't exist.

Thanks, - I really am enjoying it... Since I currently don't have the funds that would allow me to buy an Amiga One or a A1200/4000 to run AOS 4 or MorphOS ICAROS is the closest I can get, (Since AROS is as compatible at the API level to AOS 3.1 as anyone has gotten on x86).

I was able to pick up a system that is about (I'd say 97-99% compatible with AROS). The video card, network card and most all other devices in the computer are working fine in AROS. The only thing that is not compatible with AROS in my system is the MOBO-built-in soundcard. (well I think)... It's a VIA AC'97 chip soundcard. Does anyone know if this DOES indeed work in AROS? - I'd like sound in DOOM and to be able to play MP3's. If so, what settings in the sound settings do I need to set? - It's set to some "VOID:" type setting. Any help is appreciated. But other than that... it works flawlessly.
-- Joshua E. Horn