Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terrasoft shelves MAI Logic motherboards  (Read 4840 times)

Description:

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
Re: Terrasoft shelves MAI Logic motherboards
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 10, 2003, 09:56:45 PM »
@MarkTime:
Please,Again.Until you prove this with Real data,just forget this "$380" number,as it cannot be proved to be real yet today.
AmigaOne X1000

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2003, 10:11:04 PM »
Maybe, Eyetech could do the same..

I don't know of any reasons why Eyetech could not become a Pegasos retailer, selling them under their own brand name of AmigaONE, do you?

Just my personal thought process going on here.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2003, 10:56:18 PM »
[quoteI don't know of any reasons why Eyetech could not become a Pegasos retailer, selling them under their own brand name of AmigaONE, do you?

Just my personal thought process going on here.[/quote]

Eyetech could but i doubt they would want  to cos

Maybe just Maybe!  cos Billbuck has been putting the Aone down all the time.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2003, 07:33:16 AM »
PulsatingQuasar:  Well that's obvious isn't it. If the motherboard is significantly different then what you had before, Windows doesn't understand this change and tries to run with wrong drivers.

Not if you boot in SAFE MODE, and not if it crashes during the the security sector check... before any drivers are loaded.  I'm not a tech guru, but I'm not THAT stupid.

Besides, previous versions of Windows were perfecty capable of detecting changed motherboards without outright crashing, even outside safe mode.  If the newer Win32 architecture can't do the same, that's Microsoft's problem.

Also, you can't read a NTFS partition from DOS, and you can't use FAT32 on a 160GB hard drive.  How do you access your data if Windows crashes?  Re-install Windows, of course.  Boot up with the Windows2000 CD and give an administrative password, and it denies access to all folders except "WINNT".

And they do it all "for security reasons."

Or, you can just use a Win2000 bootdisk, and it will give you full access to a WinXP hard drive without a password.  Good lord...

KannyR:  And make the Amiga just another PC? *shudder* You might as well tell all your developers to f'k off now, since the Pegasos would get the prime pick of them anyway. What's hard to understand about the fact many people just won't use x86 machines?

AGP, USB, PCI, 1394, Ethernet, SDRAM, ... oh yeah, the AmigaOne is really a non-PC to heart.

Hey, let's toss in a SB Live and ATI video card.  That'll really bring back custom Amiga hardware memories.

What kind of people are going to make software for a machine that sells in the thousands, at most?

To me, it's not about performance.  It's about value.  The AmigaOne offers hardware standards equivalent to PC hardware manufactured several years ago, upholds virtually *NO* hardware standards of classic Amigas, and costs a lot of money.  Any piece of modern hardware can run my old Amiga software with the right engineering.  The hardware is irrelevant.  But value is *ALWAYS* a factor.

And, hey, where's the Amiga floppy controller?  I could use one of those, especially for a motherboard that costs that much.  But, why would I want that built in if I can get a 3rd party Flipper PCI floppy controller for a lot more money?  (Plus, it uses a PCI slot, and AmigaOne only has three.  Most PC's come with at least five).

Remember the iMac?  Why would you want an internal floppy drive for $15 when you can get an external USB floppy drive for $100?  Also, you can't boot off a USB floppy drive.

There's nothing special about the AmigaOne.  It's just an obsolete, expensive PC.  I wonder if MIA is actually selling any Teron boards at all.  I can't imagine why anybody except a PPC embedded machine developer would want one.

JoannaK:  Yep.. Looks good on paper, and has apparently caused 2-3 weeks of delays with no information beforehand. I really wish these companies someday learn to make decent announcements in time. Ah well.. it's their product.

Here, here.  It's the information age... so where's the information?  Am I supposed to believe these companies will deliver better products and services than any other PC company?

I don't want any new OS to just be a hobby for nostalgic purposes.  I want a serious contender.  AmigaOS4 for x86 could have been, in my opinion.
I'm sorry I missed the chance to pick up BeOS.  That was a serious contender.

I only stick around to see what AmigaDE will be like.  I'd like to think I can do more than spread FUD, but I don't think Amiga really pays attention to Amiga forums, anyway.

BTW, I have a lot of respect for Hyperion.  It's Amiga Inc. I can't stand.

DarthX:  By the way, those who want an AmigaOS on x86 should seriously check out AROS.

True.  Too bad there's no corporation behind it.  Free software is "nice", but commercial software has plenty of advantages.  Free operating systems are a dime a dozen, and rarely offer anything for people sick of dealing with geek speak.  I gave up on Linux very quickly when I found out I'd have to compile my own drivers.  What nonsense!

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2003, 01:04:19 PM »
I should point out that the above statements of mine related to the imposition of a Linux tax were speculation based on the fact that some people informed me that Terrasoft had attempted to do exactly that with bPlan.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2003, 05:33:12 PM »
@PulsatingQuasar

Wrong, Windows can very well cope with a totally
new motherboard, I changed my Cel750&QDI A9 with
a Gigabyte motherboard and a Thunderbird and W2k
worked. The problem is with Windows XP which
doesn't let you run your installation on a different
setup...
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2003, 06:00:54 PM »
Poster: Waccoon Date: 2003/3/11 2:33:16

True. Too bad there's no corporation behind it. Free software is "nice", but commercial software has plenty of advantages. Free operating systems are a dime a dozen, and rarely offer anything for people sick of dealing with geek speak. I gave up on Linux very quickly when I found out I'd have to compile my own drivers. What nonsense!

AROS is about Amigaish as you can get.  If that type of geek speak bothers you, what are you doing here?  As for Linux's drivers needing compiled in the kernel, unless you have some really rare hardware and or some really old (and crappy) distro, that is a none issue.  

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2003, 10:17:17 AM »
@HyperionMP
I should point out that the above statements of mine related to the imposition of a Linux tax were speculation based on the fact that some people informed me that Terrasoft had attempted to do exactly that with bPlan.

Just in case.. Could you or someone else confirm that this Terrasoft product removal did not happen cause those new  Articia-S fixed boards were not good enough to be used as Linux Servers?

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2003, 03:28:37 PM »
You'd probably be best off trying to get an answer from the source, Terrasoft. Though, I doubt they will tell you. I've heard three different things and I'm not sure which one is true.