Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Phone - Dead man walking  (Read 6755 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;764540
It is the exact same for BlackBerry. We have been hearing and reading and watching streams of news that BlackBerry was on its knees and the axe was about to come down and finish it off any second for years now. Yet BlackBerry still continue, releasing a new BB10 phone and planning to release 3-4 new devices in the next year or so.

I can understand what you're saying, but....

If I had £10,000 to spend on shares, there is absolutely zero chance I'd buy any of Blackberry's. Would you?

In terms of financial health, even though Blackberry survives, the fact that it has failed to maintain what was once a good grasp on the market basically means it's dead to shareholders, and they're the guys who dictate whether a company lives or dies, not the customers. It'd take a miracle for Blackberry to come back strong now - it's possible, but the market has matured and Blackberry didn't capitalise on their early strength. Not surprising, given the marketing budgets of Google and Samsung, particularly.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;764555
Since when has the number of sales of a product had anything do with how good it is. The ZX Spectrum sold millions and it was relatively crap. Sorry but I had one.

There are better example of that (c.f. VHS cassette format, Windows 95, many others). The Spectrum was released in 1982 at a price point of £139 - at that time, and at that price, a machine that in eight years time would have games like Lemmings and R-Type on it was actually an amazing piece of kit, you just need to put it into the context of the time it was released.

Sorry but I still have several (about 20 in the bookcase behind me :) )

Your point is absolutely correct, but the example wasn't :P
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!