Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 28 Days Later  (Read 1458 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
28 Days Later
« on: December 22, 2006, 08:34:34 AM »
I watched this film again last night. I've seen it several times before, and I love it more each time I see it.

The way I see it, the virus itself serves only as a catalyst for the real plot. The film is actually about what would happen (on a personal level) if all of the social structures in which we live our lives ceased to exist. Selena and Mark represent the struggle simply to "exist", and have resigned themselves that this is as good as it gets (and attempted to become emotionless as a coping strategy). The father and daughter in the block of flats almost seem to be trying to maintain a sense of normality despite what has happened. And the military represent a regression to animal instincts (to defend and to reproduce). The main character Jim is not IMO a hugely important one until the end of the film where he also regresses to the point where Selina thinks he is infected. Is this suggesting that the non-infected are capable of the same acts of violence as the infected? Maybe the infection is not so important. The scientist at the beginning said in the laboratory that the disease is in the blood. But whose blood? The blood of the infected individual, or the 'blood' of society?

Maybe I'm over-analysing. But after several watches of this film it feels to me like a profound warning.

Any thoughts? :-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
Re: 28 Days Later
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 02:04:08 PM »

motorollin wrote:

I think you're right, but probably reading too much into it. The concept is lifted almost wholesale from the original Romero trilogy; aside from the elaboration of a viral origin (a contemporary stylistic change and an attempt to suspend disbelief as much as anything) the film conforms to the genre with little in the way of deviation.

The photography is beautiful though, from what I remember (it has been a while since I watched it.)
AKA that_punk_guy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 05:30:40 PM »
Yes the camera work is amazing. I think traditional zombie movies aimed to push the boundaries of gratuitousness (sp? (is that even a word?)), but with a few exceptions 28DL actually shyed away from the gore, which tells me the film was designed to send a message rather than to shock.

I also think the plot, while similar to other zombie films, is more relevant today than it was when Romero's classics were made.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »

motorollin wrote:
I watched this film again last night. I've seen it several times before, and I love it more each time I see it.

The way I see it, the virus itself serves only as a catalyst for the real plot. The film is actually about what would happen (on a personal level) if all of the social structures in which we live our lives ceased to exist. Selena and Mark represent the struggle simply to "exist", and have resigned themselves that this is as good as it gets (and attempted to become emotionless as a coping strategy). The father and daughter in the block of flats almost seem to be trying to maintain a sense of normality despite what has happened. And the military represent a regression to animal instincts (to defend and to reproduce). The main character Jim is not IMO a hugely important one until the end of the film where he also regresses to the point where Selina thinks he is infected. Is this suggesting that the non-infected are capable of the same acts of violence as the infected? Maybe the infection is not so important. The scientist at the beginning said in the laboratory that the disease is in the blood. But whose blood? The blood of the infected individual, or the 'blood' of society?

Maybe I'm over-analysing. But after several watches of this film it feels to me like a profound warning.

--
moto

Have you been in the company of students young sir? ;-)
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »

CannonFodder wrote:

A clear reference to things found 28 days after their incinerate by date in a typical student fridge, if ever there was one!
int p; // A

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
When the apocalypse does come, chances are it originates deep in the salad drawer of a beret-sporting philosophy student.
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline CannonFodder

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 07:51:21 PM »

NoFastMem wrote:
When the apocalypse does come, chances are it originates deep in the salad drawer of a beret-sporting philosophy student.

Well that's a euphemism for a ladies fanjita I have not heard before!

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 09:06:19 PM »
CannonFodder wrote:

I am a student :-) My posts have been getting longer and more elaborate recently...

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline CannonFodder

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:07 PM »

motorollin wrote:
CannonFodder wrote:

I am a student :-) My posts have been getting longer and more elaborate recently...

--
moto

:-o

There is currently no known cure for this terrible affliction other than:-

"Get a job you lazy fucking student scum!" ;-)

Offline CannonFodder

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 09:15:15 PM »
Paul Calf in Court

I was up in court last week for ABH, Actual Bodily Harm, not grievous, I'm not an animal I conducted my own defence and I said...

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am not on trial here today, society is on trial. Oh {bleep} it, I'm on trial, aren't I? But I'm not in contention with the prosecution's version of events. On that we agree. There was a student, he was acting up, he got a slap. But I was under severe provocation. There I was, having a quiet pint, when a student walked past and nudged me, causing me to spill a bit. I did what any fine, upstanding citizen would do. I followed him to the toilet and kicked his head in. Perhaps I should have stopped kicking him when he was in the ambulance. But I did what I did because I want to live in a world where we can have a pint without fear of being nudged by a student. I that a crime? Is it a crime to want to live in a world of peace and harmony? Is it a crime to live in a world of love? Is it a crime to hit a student across the back of the head with a snooker ball in a sock?"

:roflmao: