Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 28899 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;766346
@Trev

awesome! i'd be great to see some of the members come back.

-- eliyahu

Stability will help, and this buyout hopefully secures a stable future for Amiga.org for many years.
The Google search results redirect-to-ad crap has gone, which makes the site much more accessible again.
Fewer bizarre dramas are likely to occur than over the last few years, which makes your (mods) jobs a lot easier, and makes visiting more worthwhile for everyone.

All good so far from what I can see.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;766328
I have only one question.  For what specific purpose did A-Eon acquire Amiga.org?

Yep, I keep repeating the same question myself...

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
@nicholas

Please refer to the Press Release:

our acquistion of is part of our long term strategy to help support and expand the Amiga community

Amiga.org is regarded as having the potential to be developed as the premier hub of Amiga support knowledge and community discussion.  It could be a wonderful resource to all Amiga users whatever "flavour" they prefer.  I have already stated this in the other thread, so I am not sure if you read my comments.

@Trev

Welcome back: its good to see you here.

I hope we can encourage many other members to return to Amiga.org.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
I'm excited that A-Eon and team acquired Amiga.org.

This Amiga space will clean up real nice with a good group directing it.

Less drama.... more meat.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »
Congratulations, nice move and good luck :)

:drink: :drink: :hat:
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
@Trevor

Well Done!

p.s. don't forget your blog (great read)

M

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;766328
I have only one question.  For what specific purpose did A-Eon acquire Amiga.org?

Wasn't there some talk once about this site being devoted to Spanish Lesbians? :)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
Quote from: A6000;766356
Wasn't there some talk once about this site being devoted to Spanish Lesbians? :)

There was. I'm still dissapointed it was just Wayne pulling our legs. :P
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
Quote from: Comi;766332
Yes! Good move Trevor!
I expect to see ........... and less fight on forum..:D

Trevor & Matthew cannot control what gets posted to any forum threads by you, the members of Amiga.org, or how much fighting occurs, but they can provide direction for the moderators on how they want members who violate the Terms of Service for posting to these forums handled in the future.

You should look at this as a partnership between management of this site and the members of these forums, as to how productive all of you want these forums to be.  Moderators don't want to treat members like children and members don't want to have what they write moderated.  If everyone reads and follows the rules set in the Terms of Service, the forums are much more productive and helpful for everyone.  The forums are also much more enjoyable to read that way, unless you are a Troll and just like to stir up trouble and watch the mayhem that follows.

Matthew and/or Trevor have stated their intentions for this site, either directly in this thread, or in the announcement.  They wish to support and expand the Amiga community.  Hopefully, members here will accept that statement and not look for any other dark, or mysterious intention or goals.  I have personally met both men and they are great guys and huge fans of all kinds of Amiga experiences.  I believe that this change will be a great thing for everyone.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
Excellent :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;766365
Trevor & Matthew cannot control what gets posted to any forum threads by you, the members of Amiga.org, or how much fighting occurs, but they can provide direction for the moderators on how they want members who violate the Terms of Service for posting to these forums handled in the future.

Surely the owners of the site could even sack the moderators and do whatever they wanted. I'm not saying they would, but you're saying they cannot.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766351
@nicholas

Please refer to the Press Release:

Amiga.org is regarded as having the potential to be developed as the premier hub of Amiga support knowledge and community discussion.  It could be a wonderful resource to all Amiga users whatever "flavour" they prefer.  I have already stated this in the other thread, so I am not sure if you read my comments.

I did, but you are running a business not a charity so there must be a commercial purpose. How do you plan to make money from this place? Obviously plastering the place with as many advertising platforms as possible like during the rule of the previous owner is not your style and I thank you for it. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Matthew answered the question about our intentions in acquiring Amiga.org but to reiterate, Amiga.org is a great peice of Amiga history and has the potential to be a massive resource for all Amigans (whatever flavour). It is the members who are the life and blood of Amiga.org and make it what it is. Without active and engaged members Amiga.org will slowly fade and die.

Personal answer: As an Amigan I'm just stoked* to be associated with Amiga.org :)

TrevorD

*Kiwi expression
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;766369
I did, but you are running a business not a charity so there must be a commercial purpose. How do you plan to make money from this place? Obviously plastering the place with as many advertising platforms as possible like during the rule of the previous owner is not your style and I thank you for it. :)
You forget (as pretty much the entire business world seems to have forgotten these days) that there's actual value in having a solid community of customers and advocates and maintaining good relations with them.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
IMHO, I would really like to see a whole new landing page with small sections of cool new products, pics, Trevor's blog sampling, new news blurbs, Amiga peeps in action, that sort of thing! Move the forums off the landing page...  just have a link to the forums... Just keep the content on the landing page relevant and current. Make it fun! :) Just a suggestion.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 12, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »
Can't help, but don't feel too comfortable with this take over. I know (well, guess to be precise) Trevor has good intentions, but there are issues on this board where interests collide. I mean if some guy asks what system to get and I suggest a Mac mini or some other an el cheapo x86 for AROS this is in direct conflict with Trevor's or Amikit's business. And they own the site now.

IMHO a site like A.org shouldn't be backed up by a company that actually _has_ a particular agenda. It loses independence - even if this loss may be unintended, but nevertheless it does.