Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So whats on the horizon for MOS?  (Read 7406 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: So whats on the horizon for MOS?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:22 AM »
I'm really hoping for Wifi support so I can sell this Netbook and FINALLY have a portable computer that runs something besides Linux or Windows.

G5 support will rock! As for it being the end of the road? NO! This might well be the new beginning. Asiding of writing drivers for more graphics cards, the only other logical path is to continue research to find a means to allow MorphOS support even more classic 680x0 and PPC software.
For instance, I'd still really like to see OctaMED S.S. running. That would be a plus, MIDI or no MIDI. Also, I'd love more PPC games working proper. Shogo would be one example. I get sound in  the menus, but once I get to the main menu and game, I loose sound. It's a random bug that effects some users but not others. Likewise, I'd love to see Heretic II and other classic PPC games working in MorphOS, but still nothing. Only a handful work.

Aside of those gripes, I have to say that MorphOS is TOTALLY worth registering! Will it replace your classic Amiga? Well that is a rhetorical question now isn't it? I can say though that it does run a large number of classic apps, and it has a great library of apps and games written or ported to MophOS specifically! On top of this, I have to say that this is the most stable, most fluid, most near perfect Hobby OS that I have used to date! I would say BeOS, but it has a lot of catching up to do in it's new incarnation Haiku, so yes, for the time being, I prefer this to all other hobby OS's out there and I can see why there is a price tag on it. A rather small one at that. Just register already, sign up and become a member at Morph Zone, learn and be happy!

P.S. I'd REALLY like for Keyboard/Mouse assigning to Joypad would be a lot easier. That is something the MorphOS team could prioritise.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Well I'd love to see Heretic II running as well... (need help)

The updated 3d Graphics Drivers sound like they are going to bring Quake III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein up to speed on my lowly eMac!!!!

As for the Mouse Pointer over Video feature. YES! I've seen that on another OS and loved it!

I'm eager to see what these new docks will be like. On that note, the more Dopus Magellen like features that can be added, the better!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629992
yeah, it seems the development is pretty glacial. But then, it also seems to be pretty good already.

Once we move to a bigger apartment in a month or two, a morph machine is probably going to happen.

It's solid,"you will buy a G4 Tower, you will buy a G4 Tower" (hypnotically waves hand in front of RunEquester's face).

Seriously though, the OS is solid as it is. If you've played with a lot of Hobby OS's, you'll be like,"Wow, this just works!!!" Well more or less. Occasionally you got to tweak something, but that's what the forums are for. Though, I will say that there are a few games and emulators that only have Keyboard support, so you have to use Trident to assign Keyboard and Mouse movements to your Joystick. This can be tricky. Assigning the buttons is easy enough, but assigning the direction pad thus far has been impossible for me, and I've spent a few weeks trouble shooting this.

Such things are easy as cake in Windows. How Windows tends to shame us some times... :/

But ya, other than that, rock solid, and besides, nearly everything already has Joystick support, though this is not the case with the Playstation emulator. VERY DEPRESSING! A gold mine at my finger tips and I can not play it except with a freaking Keyboard. :(

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:44 AM »
Mac Mini with 64Mb Video RAM.

Hmm, I'm shocked that the software packaged mentioned above does not include HD-Rec. For shame!!!!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
I've got an eMac, it's nice, I'm getting by, but I despise the fact that I have to be so damned protective of the mere 32Mb of Graphics RAM. I have to turn off all MorphOS's eye candy which really doesn't bother me too much, but still, I press the Graphics RAM limit. Especially with game settings. I have to turn things way down with Quake III and Wolfenstein.

It is for this reason I suggest getting a Mac Mini with 64Mb of RAM. I'm not sure which particular configuration is the right configuration so you'd want to read the compatibility list, but that's what I'd go with if I didn't have my sites set on a the fastest G4 Tower I can get my hands on! :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:49:03 AM by XDelusion »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
And then we'll be able to network 12 Atari 800XL's and run MorphOS on top of them as one Multi CPU machine. It will be amazing!