Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So whats on the horizon for MOS?  (Read 7404 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: So whats on the horizon for MOS?
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629828
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Any ideas or hints at what is on the horizon for Morph OS? Anything exciting in the future or any broad roadmap of stuff?

They don't publish a road map. That is both good and bad. For the current market, it is probably mostly good. They have suggested PowerMac G5 and Power Book support is upcoming. I tried out the demo of MOS 2.7 recently on a G4 PowerMac and it is pretty impressive. I came very close to registering, very close indeed. I recently told myself that I am giving up on all retro computing. If they release G5 support in the near future with a couple more features, I may have to back out of that statement. MorphOS is really looking good. The OS is polished and pro looking, plus it just works.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:58 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;629880
Well, the real question is whether their entire OS will end its journey after they support G5 Macs and Powerbooks, as there arent any further PPC machines worth porting.

So after Powerbook and G5 support, the hardware scenario seems really obscure to MOS.

I can only guess, but my guessing has been right so far. My guess is PPC mac hardware makes sense now and is a relatively easy port. I would have to guess the ultimate goal is commodity PC hardware. In the last ~3 years the MOS team seems to be on a logical path. My mind tells me where logic continues to. Time will tell.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:59:10 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629889
Any news or talk about wireless support? Thats one of the bigger things bugging me.

I am very tempted to jump in despite my reservations.

MorphOS really just works. Look at the supported hardware list and buy/build a machine that fits the specs and try out the free demo. You can find systems meeting the specs for negligible prices or free so you can test drive MorphOS for almost nothing.