Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So whats on the horizon for MOS?  (Read 7352 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
So whats on the horizon for MOS?
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Any ideas or hints at what is on the horizon for Morph OS? Anything exciting in the future or any broad roadmap of stuff?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: So whats on the horizon for MOS?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629828
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Any ideas or hints at what is on the horizon for Morph OS? Anything exciting in the future or any broad roadmap of stuff?

Ask Piru. The development team just teases us users (mere mortals we are) about the details on future developments.

We know that they intend to release Powerbook support and that that development should bring 3D video drivers for the R300 Radeons.

After that, its anyone's guess. They've shown us screenshots of Apple G5 hardware running MorphOS (iMacs and Powermacs), and there's been talk of drivers for the R400 video cards and the X600. But all with disclaimers that nothing is decided and that these may never be released.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »

They don't publish a road map. That is both good and bad. For the current market, it is probably mostly good. They have suggested PowerMac G5 and Power Book support is upcoming. I tried out the demo of MOS 2.7 recently on a G4 PowerMac and it is pretty impressive. I came very close to registering, very close indeed. I recently told myself that I am giving up on all retro computing. If they release G5 support in the near future with a couple more features, I may have to back out of that statement. MorphOS is really looking good. The OS is polished and pro looking, plus it just works.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline kolla

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:57 AM »
They're busy implementing IPv6 support all over the place.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:41:24 AM »
Well, the real question is whether their entire OS will end its journey after they support G5 Macs and Powerbooks, as there arent any further PPC machines worth porting.

So after Powerbook and G5 support, the hardware scenario seems really obscure to MOS.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:58 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;629880
Well, the real question is whether their entire OS will end its journey after they support G5 Macs and Powerbooks, as there arent any further PPC machines worth porting.

So after Powerbook and G5 support, the hardware scenario seems really obscure to MOS.

I can only guess, but my guessing has been right so far. My guess is PPC mac hardware makes sense now and is a relatively easy port. I would have to guess the ultimate goal is commodity PC hardware. In the last ~3 years the MOS team seems to be on a logical path. My mind tells me where logic continues to. Time will tell.

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:51 AM »
Any news or talk about wireless support? Thats one of the bigger things bugging me.

I am very tempted to jump in despite my reservations.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:59:10 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629889
Any news or talk about wireless support? Thats one of the bigger things bugging me.

I am very tempted to jump in despite my reservations.

MorphOS really just works. Look at the supported hardware list and buy/build a machine that fits the specs and try out the free demo. You can find systems meeting the specs for negligible prices or free so you can test drive MorphOS for almost nothing.

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:32 AM »
THe only thing around here for "next to nothing" is 300 mhz G4's from the dawn of time :)

I'll keep my eyes peeled if something nicer shows up cheap over the summer

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:04 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629890
MorphOS really just works. Look at the supported hardware list and buy/build a machine that fits the specs and try out the free demo. You can find systems meeting the specs for negligible prices or free so you can test drive MorphOS for almost nothing.

How much did you sell that one Powermac for Red?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:22 AM »
I'm really hoping for Wifi support so I can sell this Netbook and FINALLY have a portable computer that runs something besides Linux or Windows.

G5 support will rock! As for it being the end of the road? NO! This might well be the new beginning. Asiding of writing drivers for more graphics cards, the only other logical path is to continue research to find a means to allow MorphOS support even more classic 680x0 and PPC software.
For instance, I'd still really like to see OctaMED S.S. running. That would be a plus, MIDI or no MIDI. Also, I'd love more PPC games working proper. Shogo would be one example. I get sound in  the menus, but once I get to the main menu and game, I loose sound. It's a random bug that effects some users but not others. Likewise, I'd love to see Heretic II and other classic PPC games working in MorphOS, but still nothing. Only a handful work.

Aside of those gripes, I have to say that MorphOS is TOTALLY worth registering! Will it replace your classic Amiga? Well that is a rhetorical question now isn't it? I can say though that it does run a large number of classic apps, and it has a great library of apps and games written or ported to MophOS specifically! On top of this, I have to say that this is the most stable, most fluid, most near perfect Hobby OS that I have used to date! I would say BeOS, but it has a lot of catching up to do in it's new incarnation Haiku, so yes, for the time being, I prefer this to all other hobby OS's out there and I can see why there is a price tag on it. A rather small one at that. Just register already, sign up and become a member at Morph Zone, learn and be happy!

P.S. I'd REALLY like for Keyboard/Mouse assigning to Joypad would be a lot easier. That is something the MorphOS team could prioritise.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:51:36 AM »
well, Im not registering anything until I have a machine to run it on ;)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
I am real happy with MOS.  TBH, runs my dodgy old legacy Amiga SW better than my SAM does (BBS software).  I am waiting to get a more powerful machine before I register it, though.  The mini won't do what I need it to do in the long haul.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:13 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;629968
Likewise, I'd love to see Heretic II and other classic PPC games working in MorphOS, but still nothing.

I'm quite sure that I saw that game being played under MorphOS_1.x to 2.7 several times on various meetings.

Not that I would care a rats behind for such a crap-game .....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »

There has been several hints of various developments for upcoming versions. It has also been hinted that PowerBook support won't come in v2.8. G5 support is *very* far off. If it will come at all. To quote MorphOS developer jacadcaps: "It's been said many times already, but let me say this again: do not buy hardware with Morphos in mind unless support for it is officially announced on morphos-team.net!"

MorphOS 2.8 is mostly likely going to feature a disc burning application, that will burn/copy discs and make ISO's. It has already been shown publicly on various occasions.

What has also been shown is the "updated 3D drivers, reaching 140fps in Quake III running at 800x600 on an humble Mac mini. That's roughly 50% better than last year, that in turn was already 100% faster than what we have in the public version of MorphOS." (meaning: 3x as fast as current MorphOS! Picture.)

Improvements in Ambient, like a new dock system with several new features. Personally, I'd *really hope* for that cool "video-preview-in-icons" feature that was shown years ago would materialize (where you apparently hold the mouse pointer over the icon of a video file, and you get a nice preview of the video in the icon), although I'm not holding my breath. Apparently that one was put on ice long time ago. :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)