Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Second NatAmi MX board assembled!  (Read 13562 times)

Description:

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
Re: Second NatAmi MX board assembled!
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
@Kesa

This is André from the Natami Team.

The image posted is incorrect and incomplete.

This is the correct version:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/884/natamipinout3.png

I am aware that the incorrect picture got posted by mistake on Facebook.

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
@gertsy
I am happy that you appreciate my efforts to provide correct information. You might have missed that the four main IC:s were unlabeled, which in my opinion qualifies as "critical info", too.

We are getting close to a point where we will produce a batch of boards for internal distribution within the team for further compatibility testing and bug fixing. The date of release to the public depends on how long this process will take.

The situation in Japan is currently making it difficult for us to obtain components.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:52:05 PM by Forcie »

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »
@Hattig
A tiny CPLD handling I/O for floppy and joyports.

@Kesa
Yes. The image with the errors was made by a forum member, so I made a proper version after that. But the image with the errors happened to be posted on FB by mistake. :)

@TCMSLP
Our goal is full support of OS3.x (as well as earlier versions :) ). But we currently only have 3.1 licenses to distribute with the boards. However, our internal distribution runs 3.9. We are currently working on supporting all the hardware (writing SANA2 drivers, hacking monitor files, etc.)

@gertsy
Kesa is not at fault at all, it is our fault for posting the wrong image :)
Yes, everything is not soldered in that picture. But everything labeled "header" will have a proper header. They are not there in the picture because the focus was not testing the functionality of those connectors at that particular moment in time - it was taken shortly after getting the very first MX board.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:09:55 PM by Forcie »

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
@commodorejohn
Yes, you can use both DVI and VGA monitors. Also, with the 15KHz video expansion, you can also use classic Amiga RGB monitors for classic screenmodes. I am getting one myself (classic Amiga graphics looks best on one! And I love working in DPaintIV on a real RGB screen) but the actual 15KHz expansion board is not done yet.

@Darrin
Sure, I prefer OS 3.1 myself. But remember that OS 3.9 is not only graphical changes but also a truckload of bugfixes. :)

@outlawal2
You are perhaps thinking about the old Natami prototype using a C-One board that was started back in 2003.
Our current development board has a 68060 expansion card attached. But we have developed a brand new 68k CPU architecture called "N68050" that will soon be powering the Natami system.

Btw, a 030 is not too weak for OS3.9. I ran OS3.9 just fine on my A600 with 42MHz 030 ;)

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;631238
Wait, wait, wait.  WHERE ARE THE 24 PHONE JACKS?

Fortunately, we have the common sense to ignore Thierry Atheist and his requests ;)

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;631322
Is the MMU likely to be added in future revisions?

Current FPGA tech (that is, chips that are affordable enough to use in projects like this) does not really allow a MMU, because it would slow the CPU design down too much to be acceptable.
FPGA tech is advancing super fast though, and it might be possible in a future Natami design with a more advanced FPGA. But in my opinion the power of a more advanced FPGA should rather be  focused on making the CPU and chipset even faster than hogging it down  with a MMU.

The goal is to run AmigaOS and AROS, and they do not need MMU:s. The MMU is primarily useful for devtools like MuForce/Enforcer etc. So it is not a big drawback (unless you want to try and run Linux, of course). But then there is a 68060 expansion card to play with if you want.

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »
Quote from: kolla;631380
What prevents a CPU card for Natami with a real 68k on it?

If you did not already notice, we already _have_ a CPU card with a real 68060 on it for the SZorro bus. Two versions in fact (including the rare SMD 060FE chip which is factory specced at 133 MHz)

http://www.natami.net/hardware.htm

Offline Forcie

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;631379
nothing would prevent  you from making it optional (e.g. possible to turn it on/off at boot time or runtime) so it doesn't affect performance for those who don't want it...

It is just not that simple. The entire CPU design has to be rethought and reworked if a MMU is to be included, even if it could be turned off. And even if it could be turned off, it would affect the design performance-wise. So it is not a realistic option for the close future.

It is cool that AROS is getting memory protection though! I hope that AROS68k will get proper planar screenmodes soon so I can play with it some more :)