Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cloanto  (Read 12791 times)

Description:

Offline Belial6

• Show all replies
    • http://www.glasshead.net
Re: Cloanto
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
I'm hoping they do some major upgrading to the KX Light.  It was a great idea that just was not properly implemented.

What I would like to see is for it to be hard drive installable, and for it to support having all of the configuration stuff controllable via a web browser.  It should also support using removable media like an SD card as the configuration/save location.

The removable media system would allow us keep the Amiga feel by having the System boot directly to our own customized desktop, as well as give us the ability to boot directly into any games that we want to by just putting the custom configuration on it's own USB stick.  This allow us to share our Amiga with family and friends without it looking like some kind of kludge.  It would behave just like a console.  Plug in your 'cartidge' and turn on the system.

The hard drive installation would improve boot speeds dramatically.  Especially if they could make hibernate work.

The web access to the configuration would be the coolest part though.  By putting a mini-web server that loads by default, we would have a standard interface for remote controlling the Amiga without breaking the illusion.  This means that when a new disk needs to be inserted, we could do it from another PC, a PDA, or even our phones.  Heck, it wouldn't be too huge of a home brew project to make a small "disk drive" that was just an http client that would display the current disk and a menu.  Heck, we could even have a real floppy disk drive shell that would send an HTTP command of eject to the emulator when you pushed the eject button, and had small switch inside that would issue an insert disk command when the disk was reinserted.  This would give the tactile experience of using a floppy while leaving the actual ADF safely on modern media.  Really the options would be endless, and I think the community would really run with it.

As I type this, and think about how all of the technical issues could be hidden from users, it strikes me that the final piece to hide the emulation from a user would be if there was some way to watch memory/video chip/whatever to check for insert disk messages on the screen.  Obviously this would need to be identified on a game by game basis, but I would think that if nothing else, the emulator should be able to scan an area of the screen to match a bitmap to one stored as a reference, and when the screen bitmaps match, an eject of one disk, and insert of another is automatically done.

I don't expect any of this to happen, but a guy can dream.