Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cloanto  (Read 11923 times)

Description:

Offline amigakiddTopic starter

• Show only replies by amigakidd
Cloanto
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »
I think they're the best.

Amiga Forever.
WinUAE enthusiast.

Curious about: Amiga OS, Morph OS, X-Amiga, Amikit, Amiga Forever, WinUAE, Efika, Minimig,
and other forms Amiga-like Computers.

Offline trekiej

Re: Cloanto
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
I wish they would make an Aros version.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44:33 AM »
I wish they would do something like AmigaSYS or AmigaKit... I bought Amiga Forever ONLY because I wanted ALL ROMES for UAE (yeap, I like to be legal ;) ). Other wise there is nothing "fun".

How do you say in English: They are sitting ducks... ;)

AND they ask me to pay for that? heh.

Make a AmigaKIT (AmigaSYS) plus original ROMs and 3.9 system and we have a complete "solution" (sound like advertisement of Windows...) for PC with WORKING Workbench and "stuff".

Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Minuous

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:50:58 AM »
Hmmm, I see they're now using Microsoft-style shill tactics in a desperate attempt to fix their shattered reputation.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:50:12 AM »
The Cloanto package is also a neat way of getting a pretty OS3.9ish system on your Amiga without actually buying OS3.9.

I installed OS3.9 on my A2000 with CV643D, but I wanted the look of the Amiga Forever OS3.x.  I copied it to an Amiga formatted hard drive, removed the P96 installation and replaced it with my CybergraphX v4 software, copied over my CD0: datatype and removed a few Cloanto UAE specific lines from their startup-sequence and User-startup and now my A2000 Workbench looks just like the Amiga Forever one.

Why the hell doesn't the Amikit package come with an installation for a real Amiga (or am I missing something)?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:48:18 AM »
Why would buying OS3.9 be a bad thing? At least you would be rewarding H&P for doing quality Amiga development, not rewarding Cloanto for scumming the Amiga community.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »
@Minuous

(Ok I'll bite)

Err, last I checked H&P were the crooks, and Cloanto the good guys.

I see they're now using Microsoft-style shill tactics in a desperate attempt to fix their shattered reputation

What shill tactics? Where?
How is their reputation shattered?

rewarding H&P for doing quality Amiga development

H&P screwed everyone left and right. The product was buggy and incomplete, and included stolen AmiTCP/IP. H&P fsked up Amithlon, too.

Cloanto for scumming the Amiga community.

How is Cloanto scumming the Amiga community? I just don't understand that bit at all.

But hey, checking your recent posts to some other threads and they've been equally trollish.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »
>What shill tactics? Where?

In this thread! Ie. first post, it's clearly a shill.

>How is their reputation shattered?

Everyone is aware that they are leeching Commodore's IP without contributing anything positive, plus sending out C&Ds to various Amiga sites for no apparent reason.

Blaming H&P for Bernie's actions is a cop-out...Bernie should take responsibility for his own actions. I'm sure even he would admit that it was at his insistence and general whining and threatening that Amithlon was withdrawn, to the detriment of the community. I don't see how that makes him some kind of hero.

I'm no troll, but when I see this kind of mindless Cloanto fanboyism it's difficult to let it pass without at least warning other users about possible shill tactics. I don't think there's much point in writing, or reading, "yeah, great" posts, generally, so generally the only time I will post is when I read something that is greatly inaccurate or concerning.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:38:46 AM »
@Minuous
In this thread! Ie. first post, it's clearly a shill.

So basically every single post ever cheering -- say Hyperion -- is a shill too. clearly?

Everyone is aware that they are leeching Commodore's IP without contributing anything positive

They are? As far as I know they actually paid for it.

plus sending out C&Ds to various Amiga sites for no apparent reason.

Which sites? When? Documentation please.

I'm sure even he would admit that it was at his insistence and general whining and threatening that Amithlon was withdrawn

Would he?

So what about this then? Nothing wrong in H&P again right?

I'm no troll, but when I see this kind of mindless Cloanto fanboyism it's difficult to let it pass without at least warning other users about possible shill tactics

Your reaction didn't leave any room for "possible".

Funny thing, many of us genuinely believe Cloanto has done some great things. Just the documentation database on their website alone is priceless source of information.

And lets not forget that without Amiga Forever there whould be no way to legally obtain AmigaOS KS ROMs at all.

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
Yes, Cloanto are great.

And for those who do not like the standardised Workbench distribution, AmiKit, AmigaSYS, and probably even AIAB allow the system files to be copied over without problems.

Cheers,
James
x

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
Amiga Explorer by Cloanto is a GREAT program.

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
@Piru

Don't feed the troll.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »

alexh wrote:
Amiga Explorer by Cloanto is a GREAT program.
My thought EXACTLY. Cloanto made it possible to let my A500, with only one workbench disk left, relive.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Cloanto is great and should be supported in every way by this community.  
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

Minuous wrote:
Why would buying OS3.9 be a bad thing? At least you would be rewarding H&P for doing quality Amiga development, not rewarding Cloanto for scumming the Amiga community.

I'm not with you.  I own OS3.9 disks, however, as Piru has pointed out, there is software included on them that H&P apparently had no right to include.

Cloanto is also fully licensed and legal as far as I'm aware (feel free to present evidence to the contrary).  I don't understand your reasoning for attacking them,   :-?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.