Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga to PC.com - AMI-PC  (Read 3202 times)

Description:

Offline Karamoon1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Karamoon1
Amiga to PC.com - AMI-PC
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:25:37 AM »
Has anyone used the link below before. I have ordered AMI-PC a few days back and I am itching to receive it and get started?

http://www.amigatopc.com/order.htm

Is AMI-PC any good? I am quite new to PC<>Amiga file transfer. :-)

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: Amiga to PC.com - AMI-PC
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:54:19 AM »
I'm not from the UK, but as far as I know Epic UK (check the email address at the bottom of the page) does not exist anymore.

The software from this package is available on Aminet (here) for free. It works with any serial (i.e. "Nullmodem") or parallel (i.e. "Laplink") cable you can buy in any computer shop - for a lot less than 32 USD.

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 04:31:46 AM »
The link actually emails to "Sales@home-arcade.co.uk.com" ... But still, no sense in ordering something obtainable for free.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Managarm

• Show only replies by Managarm
    • http://www.freewebs.com/robinslair
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »
It's Pc2Amiga, that program is great. You just install the software on both machines aand hook them up. The PC appears as a device on the Workbench. When you open it all the various drives can be accessed as if they were Amiga devices. It's a great way of using a CD drive or high density floppy on the Amiga. I'd advise using the parallel port as it's quite a bit faster. The only downside is it sometimes times out for no good reason.

Offline Karamoon1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Karamoon1
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 12:27:05 PM »
I have PC2Amiga. You can remove the timeout error and install support for long file names by making changes to the config files on both computers.

AMIGA
configPC2AMIGA

change from :'text surfaces = 10' to 'text surfaces = 2'
change from :'highcyl = 20' to 'highcyl = 1'

Save file

PC (Windows XP)
locate file C:\Windows\system32\CONFIG.NT

Add the following line at the end of the config file:

device=%SystemRoot%\System32\setver.exe

Save file

However if you are unsure I do not suggest editing files in your Windows system folder.

(I must add that I got this from a discussion thread somewhere on this site but cannot find the page for the link for you. Sorry.)

This did work for me however and my only problem was that I didn't have the correct cable.

Thanks

Offline Managarm

• Show only replies by Managarm
    • http://www.freewebs.com/robinslair
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »
Great, thank you. The timeout thing was kind of annoying. It seems to happen quite randomly; it'll be running fine for days and then suddenly it's timing out constantly. I tried raising the task priority which works for a while but if you keep raising it the computer starts acting mighty funny.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 01:17:18 PM »
Or you can obtain the PC TO AMIGA PARALLEL CABLE without the cost of paying for the freeware software!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit