Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FPGA Amiga  (Read 4963 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: FPGA Amiga
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Quote from: johnklos;834555
Personally, I'd like an FPGA m68k core that looks like an m68040 with an m68040 MMU that has a superset of all m68k instructions, particularly 64 bit instructions that are on the '040 but not '060, and all the FPU instructions that are on the m68881 and '882 but not on the '040 FPU. I'd like everything to Just Work™ without wondering. Something like this could work on Macs, Ataris, and NeXTs, too, if it was made to fit in an '040 socket.

What if software is expecting things that were removed from an 040 to also be removed on the FPGA 040? That violates your "everything to Just Work™".

If you don't think there is any software out there (and there may not be) then I can create some for you.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;834697
The last time any vendor was selling Amigas in those numbers was in the 1990's.

That is an incredibly low bar.

Like: I can sing better than Elvis (because Elvis is dead).

Hopefully Ultimate 64 is going to be on sale soon, the first batch is going to be 500 units. The c64 might start outselling the amiga.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:33:03 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
Quote from: grond;834699
Um, it's more like "nobody sang better than me since Elvis was still alive, no?

No, because other people make computers. Nobody has been selling Amiga's since the 1990's because they were dead, like Elvis. Unless you include AmigaNG, who are an Amiga impersonator. It's an incorrect comparison though as Vampire isn't an Amiga, it's an accelerator. I'm not sure that vampire has sold more accelerators than anyone else since the 1990's though.

Quote from: Iggy;834700
No, its still "I sing better than Elvis", but its also "...ever".

And that's a risky statement.

Well vampire isn't performing better than everyone else ...ever

My biggest problem with most of the competition is that it offers me little over the Altera DE1 I already own (which can run a Minimig core).

I personally like the ultimate 64, mega 65 & spectrum next more. Those dev boards are ok, but there is something about having a computer in a case with a keyboard.

But there are a few areas where I'd rather have a legacy '040 or '060 system.

Unfortunately that is a software issue caused by the person controlling the software. Unless you mean a real 040/060 silicon, which would probably end up more expensive.

Obviously the vampire hardware has benefits & the v4 is going to be even better. Time to take another mortgage out....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:12:52 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;834704
Right!  I have expressed interest for the Ultimate-64 and hopefully I'll be in the 1st batch.

Pre-orders are closed for ultimate 64 now, ultimate64.com

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »
Quote from: grond;834721
Well, he wrote "units", not " Amigas". But yes, I noticed other computers have been produced since 1994. So I guess it's more like "nobody has sung 'Love Me Tender' better since Elvis's death"?

That analogy fails on multiple grounds.

1. You're suggesting it's the same product, so rather than "Love Me Tender" it's any song.

2. The vampire analogy is about units sold, not whether they are better. I know I mentioned better, but you're correcting my analogy.

3. Referring to love me tender suggests you're talking about one product, it would be more correct to include all songs.

4. In the vampire analogy it's specifically including the time after commodore died.

Elvis supposedly still sells 10 million records a year. It would be like saying that if you sell more then you are automatically a better singer, even if it's one of those terrible charity records.

Quote from: Kremlar;834714
Right.  I requested to be on the pre-order list early on.  We'll see.

Gideon hasn't always paid much attention to that, I managed to get a 1541u2 when they first came out and I was on the bottom of the list and others higher up the list missed out. I noticed the web site was down for maintenance and by the next day then not only had it moved but there was news that a small batch of boards were being shipped next month and the pre-order list was full.

It might be that these aren't what you'd consider the first batch. Gideon however is referring to the rest of the first 500 boards as being the second batch & I think it's more likely that you'll be getting one of those.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:24:17 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Quote from: Djole;834732
If the product is crap the sale numbers would show that.

Please explain how your theory applies to VHS and Windows?

Offline psxphill

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;834785
How did I miss this?!  I've got a few dead C64s on a shelf.  I'll have to try and get one of the next batch made.

If you want to resurrect a dead c64, you can try replacing the motherboard.

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/c64-reloaded-mk2.html

You won't have DRAM/PLA/Power supply issues anymore (plus less common issues with discreet components). Of course you could have blown a CIA, but hopefully you have enough of the chips to make one good working c64.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:25 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;834828
For demo coders Vampire is not interesting because they want to use a underpowered defined hardware base to create something that makes people wonder how they did it

It's 2018, Vampire is under powered.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;834845
Sorry to destroy your illusions but your PPC based embedded toys are underpowered in todays terms too

I don't have an illusions, or PPC based embedded toys.

Your argument doesn't hold water about the demo scene, I was merely pointing that out. No need to get touchy.

Quote from: OlafS3;834846
Regarding Vampire, it is a toy, a hobby platform for amiga enthusiasts,

That doesn't appear to be how gunnar sees it.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;834849
You were first one explaining me if Vampire is underpowered in todays terms as if I (or most of us) would not know that.

You said it wasn't under powered.

Quote from: OlafS3;834828
For demo coders Vampire is not interesting because they want to use a underpowered defined hardware base to create something that makes people wonder how they did it.

Which is it?

IMO they would avoid it because it's too expensive and a bit like joining a cult.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:05:29 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 12:37:05 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;834851
Where did I write that?

You wrote it here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=834828#post834828

If you read carefully what I write and not interpret something in it, I have never written anywhere that Vampire can be compared to up-to-date standard hardware.

I did read what you said carefully. If you think A doesn't like B because it's not C then you're implying you think B is C. I think you're completely wrong though, there are plenty of 4k demos on much more powerful systems released.

Demo coders code for plain A500 or A1200, not for expanded big boxes or new highend 68k hardware. It would be not fun to them

Actually demo coders are consistently inconsistent about what hardware they code for, for a long time there were demos released that would only run full frame rate on WinUAE on a fast PC. But you're right about Apollo not being fun. I'm hoping to get an Ultimate 64 soon, it's less powerful as FPGA systems go but Gideon is a great guy.

Quote from: Kremlar;834852
When has ANYTHING Amiga NOT been like joining a cult???  Lol :roflmao:

If commodore were trying to run a cult then they failed miserably, but then they would.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:45:11 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
Quote from: moogaloonie;834973
But I certainly do not remember there ever being a time when a potentially significant improvement to the Amiga's capabilities was met with an universally warm reception, whether it was an OS revision, a CPU evolution or even a display enhancement.

commodore's marketing as woeful as it was, is better than gunnar.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 12:57:09 AM »
Quote from: kolla;834995
I believe you here mean British users.

Well we did buy more amiga's than any other country

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/sales.html

and the big box amiga sales worldwide were woeful.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 01:21:07 AM »
Quote from: grond;835134
Brit Elite, while I find most of what you write very reasonable, I don't understand why it disturbs you that the Apollo Core has some features the 060 does not have. You can safely ignore their presence.

It's not so much disturbing, I just wish he'd implement the important features so that I could justify buying one rather than all this fluffing crap.

Maybe there are people who want to be fluffed into a gigantic orgasm by an FPGA board. It seems ok for whdload and doing it's own thing, but it's kinda expensive for that.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
Quote from: grond;835148
How many times has it been pointed out that the "important features" are just stripped down and limited variants of the "fluffing crap" and that implementing the "fluffing crap" makes it easier to then implement the "important features" deriving them from the "fluffing crap"?

I don't know, how many times are you going to trot out the lies?

Because gunnar is pretty clear that he isn't going to deliver the features I want.

Quote from: grond;835152
Anyway, thank you for explaining your point of view which I consider a very well reasoned one. It is a nice break from all this "it must crash the same way as an 060 otherwise it isn't compatible" stuff I have been reading for a long time from others.

Well, it's not compatible. In very important ways, apollo is not compatible. That is just an easy one for the weak minded to understand.