Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FPGA Amiga  (Read 5018 times)

Description:

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
Re: FPGA Amiga
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
In my opinion, the biggest problem is that different FPGA developers are working towards different goals.

Some people want new FPGA-based Amigas to have new features that make those devices stand out. They want a new generation of software that can't run on older systems. They, it seems, haven't learned much from the PowerUp versus WarpOS, MorphOS, AROS, et cetera, compatibility issues.

Others want new accelerators and/or new computers based on FPGAs which can run existing software (the reason most of us have Amigas) with modern components and with much greater speed. Extra features are nice, but I don't think there are that many of us who are clamoring for features in new software which make that software not backwards compatible.

Personally, I'd like an FPGA m68k core that looks like an m68040 with an m68040 MMU that has a superset of all m68k instructions, particularly 64 bit instructions that are on the '040 but not '060, and all the FPU instructions that are on the m68881 and '882 but not on the '040 FPU. I'd like everything to Just Work™ without wondering. Something like this could work on Macs, Ataris, and NeXTs, too, if it was made to fit in an '040 socket.

I'm not a fan of extra features when the basic features aren't there yet.