Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Project Icons  (Read 1298 times)

Description:

Offline bradhansen1Topic starter

• Show only replies by bradhansen1
Project Icons
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:34:58 PM »
Hello All,
Can someone please explain how to do this; "You can add a Project Icon with C:DAControl as its default tool."
I want to do this so my .ADF files open on Workbench when I double click on them in OS3.2.
Much appreciate any help on this.
Brad Hansen

Offline Matt_H

Re: Project Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »
This is preconfigured in a stock 3.2 installation. No need for any action on your part. You should be able to double-click an ADF and it will mount.

The specific mechanics of it are the file ENVARC:Sys/def_adf.info, which is a project-type icon with C:DAControl set as the default tool. That icon is used for all ADF files via the DefIcons system.

But if you have an ADF file with its own icon (e.g., mydisk.adf and mydisk.adf.info) you'll need to manually set the default tool on that to C:DAControl. The DefIcons icon is only used when an icon for a given file doesn't already exist.

EDIT: default tool, not tooltype
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:58:48 PM by Matt_H »

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »
Thank you for the good information. 2 things, first, that does not happen on my system if
I double click on my 3.2 adf files or any other adf files nothing happens, my system blinks and that is about
all. Second can someone explain how to set the "Tool Type", I tried a bunch of different ways
and it never works... So any help would be appreciated.
Brad Hansen

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
Okay, guess I wasn't looking hard enough... But what I'm seeing is when ADF files display
on Workbench they are showing as "I-Control" files and not ADF files even though ADF_def
is in the Env-Archive/Sys folder. Does anyone know why?
Thank you,
Brad Hansen

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »
It’s worth noting that an ADF won’t open instantly like a drawer (like a Zip file in Windows), it will mount like a disk. I.e., it will appear on your Workbench and you need to open it from there.

You change the default tool or add tooltypes for an individual icon from the icon information window. Single-click an icon and press Right Amiga + I. Note that if the icon type is not set to Project, the default tool field will not appear. You can change the icon type from the menu or using Sys:Tools/IconEdit.

To change an icon’s default tool globally (as opposed to just a single individual icon) you need to use Sys:Prefs/DefaultIcons.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
Really good information,
Thanks so much!
Brad Hansen

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
But what I'm seeing is when ADF files display on Workbench they are showing as "I-Control" files and not ADF files
I don’t understand what you mean here. Can you post some screenshots (or photo of your monitor)?