Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best .anim file player for KS 1.3 OCS Amigas?  (Read 1202 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Best .anim file player for KS 1.3 OCS Amigas?
« on: January 02, 2022, 12:04:58 AM »
I have a number of .anim files on my A1000 (WB 1.3) and the ones that play fine are using a combo of programs called Movie and ShowAnim -- some use one, some use another. There are others .anims that will show the first frame and then the program quits, or just Guru the Amiga.

What should I play these with?

Looking at the header in a Hex editor, it's nearly the same in all. The recognizable ASCII in the beginning, spaced with high ascii chars, is more or less:  FORM...'ANIMFORM....ILBMBMHD.....

This is a A1000 with 512K CHIP, 8MB FAST, loading from a "HD" (I have a Parceiro device). The anims are not massive in size, maybe 200K, 500K, 1MB, etc. Any help appreciated, thanks.
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: Best .anim file player for KS 1.3 OCS Amigas?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 06:40:54 AM »
I don't know about playback. I do know there are different versions of the ANIM file format.

You might want to try loading them with DPaint IV (ANIM comes from Electronic Arts I think). That should give you an idea if they are are the real McCoy or some tweaked variant of ANIM, perhaps AGA and so not compatible.

I get the feeling that extra half brite ANIM won't play at all in an A1000. Depends how original it is. Denise R5 does not have EHB.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 12:12:28 AM »
Hi

Just use DOpus to play animations. Click the animation file and it will play. For something more complex use MainActor. DPaint will generally load an animation and you can use that. Memory may be an issue so a bit more RAM always helps.

You can get both DOpus disk CU100 and MainActor off cover disks. Just search the EAB data base.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
If you got 8MB already... why not play from RAM disk? :o
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 05:08:54 PM »
Not sure about 1.3 compatibility, but PPShow and BigAnim were ones I remember using myself. If they're 1.3 no-goes, then you might want to seek out older versions of them.