Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are your top AmigaOS annoyances that you'd like to see addressed?  (Read 17485 times)

Description:

Offline TribbleSmasher

With Kickstart 2 the StyleGuide was introduced, similar to the Macintosh.
Unfortunately, it wasn't mandatory so every developer keep doing horrible things. There wasn't even a default menu struct or clipboard interface one had to use, everything was by choice so they did...

Offline TribbleSmasher

I really would like to see the whole ixemul idea properly solved, or, well, discarded for good.
Whatever it seems to provide should be incorporated in one way or another into the AmigaOS environment. keeping an API emulation alive for so many years is bonkers, period.

Offline TribbleSmasher

So what are the most used posix/ixemul calls that needed to be implemented?
1. fork()

Offline TribbleSmasher

Is it advised still to persue posix compatibility with AmigaOS just for the sake of faster ports of some nonGUI tools? This ixemul was obviously meant to be a temporarily solution, but seems to stick and i don't like it, it is a sinkhole.

Offline TribbleSmasher

That would require experiencing the newly added features in 3.2. Who knows, maybe everything we ever need is already included?

like i wouldn't mind booting a CF from the PCMCIA slot, with boot priorities properly respected.

With OS3.2 about to ship, thoughts can turn to OS3.3! What ideas would you like to see addressed in 3.3? (this is not an official question! I'm not part of the team working on it)

Offline TribbleSmasher

RTG is getting better too, since Thor is fixing bugs and cludges and implementing new features and drivers for more cards into P96. :)

Offline TribbleSmasher

Another thing came to my mind, (might have been mentioned before); the Installer copies files, creating directories etc..
It creates an optional log file but there is no way to use that to reverse the installation.
so it would be a logical step to enhance Installer to create logs that can be used to reverse the installation of software.