Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TRUE COLOR icons?  (Read 3857 times)

Description:

TRUE COLOR icons?
« on: November 03, 2002, 03:23:34 AM »
When can we get TRUE COLOR icons, instead of those 256 cols on our WorkBench?
Perhaps in AmigaOS 4.0 ?
Comments anyone?

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
Re: TRUE COLOR icons?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 06:51:32 AM »
Anything not on the OS 4.0 feature list (I dont have the URL for it off hand, try google.com) will not make it into this release. I'm not an official spokesperson from Hyperion/Eyetech/AmigaInc, but its logical to assume that since OS 4 .0 is late, they're going to spend their energies on implementing announced features rather than adding any other new stuff.

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 06:58:46 AM »
I really dont pay much attention to Icons.  I think 256 colors will do the trick for them  :-D
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 07:02:09 AM »
Not sure, but i hope they can be using vectors graphix. As then, when resolutions gets larger, the size of the icons wont, as we could easily resize them and they'll scale beuatifuly!!!

Olaf, in my interview with him, said, the icon system needs an overhaul. Icons are getting to large.

I think the icon system is unique for AmigaOS and needs to be kept, but i think myabe a different format for them, would be a good idea.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 07:51:36 AM »
How about showing window contents while moving them? Will that be in os4.x ?
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2002, 08:45:21 AM »
I really can't see, why true colour icons would be so useful... Other than there wouldn't be need for any 256col=>WhateverColordepthUserIsUsing conversion...
(Of course, they'd need to be dithered, should anyone use <=16bit modes)

256 colour icons allow use of 256 independent colours within icons. Theoretically, you could waste them on 16*16 icon (16*16=256) but this is hardly ever the case...

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2002, 10:41:25 AM »
I think the icon system is unique for AmigaOS and needs to be kept, but i think myabe a different format for them, would be a good idea.

I very much agree on that. The possiblity of keeping seperate icons for seperate files is one of THE great things I love about Aos. The notion that all icon files should be put in a single drawer gives me the creps. Aos 4.0 is intended for g3 600 mhz and above (and some 603/604) Why not use this and implement a fast packing rutine to the icon.lib instead.
On a 80 gb harddisc. I can spare 20 mg for icons easily  :-D
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2002, 11:24:03 AM »
;-) While seperate icons are useful, 24-bit could be viewed as overkill, or just eye candy.  On the other hand, eye candy sells.

:-D But why stop at 24 bits?  I would like to see 32 bits icons with a transparency layer, or alpha channel.  Thus, icons could have translucent sections, or real shadows instead of the medium gray shadows they have now.

;-) Of course, it's far too late in the game to add such a feature into OS4; better to wait for OS5 on that score.  (Unless it's already been added in...)

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2002, 11:45:41 AM »
OS4 for new Icons is a no go. OS4.2... Maybe? But later then that i would expect. After the Porting work has finished. So maybe for OS5. But this might be needed sooner because OS5 is very very far away. And 256 colors for icons will start to look very dull when its OS5 is released. So, maybe new icon system for OS4.2 OS4.5 would be a good idea?

They might have enough time too, because,  a lot of the stuff that was supposed to be done in OS4.2 and later, got put in OS4. So, there is room (if you ask me) for some more features.

But, we do have to prioitorise!!! That is, there might be more things other than an icon system that need to be implimented. If so, we should look at these first.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2002, 12:51:41 PM »
Quoting from what fleecy said a WOASE yesterday - "Anyone can knock up some 24 bit icons in a paint package - it's what's under the hood that matters at the moment" or something like that.  BAsically, dont expect prettyness for OS4 (fleecy said that it will use the 3.9 workbench), but maybe for OS4.2.