Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Torture!  (Read 4149 times)

Description:

Offline Fixer

• Show only replies by Fixer
Re: Torture!
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 09, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »

motorollin wrote:
Do you think I was serious about somebody giving me a PPC card?

Well no I guess, but you've been saying it a lot.

It can be hard to recognise sarcasm in text...

True.

And are you surprised there is a renewed interest in getting OS4 running on a Mac now it's available? Don't you think there is value in that given that the OS is finally available? Or would you prefer for OS4 to remain available only to those who own rare and expensive hardware?

I am certainly not surprised by the interest, but the daydreaming is almost on par with that of the "port OS4 to etc." threads.

The PPC Mac version was a rumour that came from someone at Hyperion stating that they got it running on one.

If this is true then it certainly isn't going to be available anytime soon (and if it is I'll eat my hat) simply and logically because that would be closer to the A1 version than the classic. If a patch was released it would require an OS4 A1 installation at the very least, something which has been available to a lucky few for a very long time. So, how are we in a different situation now?

If you are talking about someone at Hyperion leaking a patch then how exactly would that help them at Hyperion, and why now just because they are doing what is legally within their right to release the Classic Version?

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
The PPC Mac version was a rumour that came from someone at Hyperion stating that they got it running on one.

Nit: It was someone associated with ACube that got it (mostly) ported to the Mac Mini - this was the Moana project. Hyperion always claimed they couldn't port it to the Mac.

If you are talking about someone at Hyperion leaking a patch then how exactly would that help them at Hyperion, and why now just because they are doing what is legally within their right to release the Classic Version?

Hyperion is a charity now, didn't you get the news?

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »

gdanko wrote:

Manu wrote:
..and if Hyperion announced support for Mac hardware
today then it suddently would be all glory and perfect, dancing bananas´and all that. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

No. If Hyperi1on announced support for affordable and easy to obtain hardware then people would be happy and Hyperion would sell many copies.

It has nothing to do with the Mac. I has to do with:
a) Amiga, Inc. and Hyperion will never port it to x86
b) A 1.4 GHz G4 Mac Mini can be had for $250US or less and is more powerful than the $1000US A1

You cannot blame people for not wanting to spend $1000 for an underpowered machine. The argument that the OS is so lightweight that it doesn't need a powerful machine is invalid when it comes to the pure economics of things. Plus, there are a number of Mac Mini G4 owners who have long since upgraded yet kept their Minis around for something or another. Many of these folks would love to install OS4.

Well, you missed my point a little, but I don't care.
For the rest of what you wrote, I agree with you.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2007, 11:37:29 PM »
 On a second tought: why not install it as an emulated second OS?

Put it an emulated 2nd envoriment... :roll:  :idea:
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

adz wrote:

adonay wrote:

Damn i got cought in the bate  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

TBH, my original post was aimed at A1260 or whatever the **** his handle is, however, you bit first so I ran with it. I'm just trying to illustrate how sensitive many of you have become. Fanboyism is ugly wherever it rears its head and it certainly doesn't make for good conversation. A lot of people here need to pour themselves a nice cup'o'tea and relax.

Typical fanboy talk on this forum once again.
Some of here like a nice mug of coffee to relax with.
 ;-)

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2007, 02:01:20 AM »
I read a lot of forums and this one is probably the one I read the most. I didn't get a great deal of use out of the Amiga when I was younger but always wanted to.

Anyways, one thing I notice is whenever Mac is mentioned the same reactions always happen. Fanboi, haters bla bla bla.

The topic of porting wouldn't come up so much if they released hardware at the same time as software at a reasonable price so that people could use it. The A1 was released, never saw any easily available in Australia. Would have bought one but definitely not from online and definitely not with all that crap in relation to shipping delays etc. The only reason Mac is so popular obviously is the cheap PPC hardware out there.

It isn't even a case of being a cheap skate either, as mentioned. Amiga hardware is old, very old. I went through 3 Amiga 500s to make one that had the latest roms and worked well. Many say their PPC boards simply don't work anymore.

And by that I don't mean online, I mean in stores. Where people feel comfortable actually paying money. When there has been so many lies within Amiga for how many years, there would be a lot of people out there who buy into Amiga but not online. They just don't trust the companies (for want of a bother word).

In relation to it being possible, of course it can be ported. There is no impossible. I am not capable of doing but it is an operating system designed to run on computers. Nothing more, nothing less.  :-)  

Why doesn't someone look into creating a PCI card which imitates the special chip sets that can be used on any computer. Similar to minimig but in PCI format and only imitating the dedicated chips. The processor could be a PPC. If a USB version was made it could be ported to PS3/Wii etc. (Aren't I dreaming lol)
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline sdyates

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 03:41:57 AM »
I think the Minimig and the Clone A are the best chances of getting a classic amiga in a small, cost effective footprint.

Buuilding cards costs money and unless there is a potential market, there is not likely to be a PCI card created especially as PCI is an old card type.
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 04:54:19 AM »
utri007 wrote:

like U.S.A people would stop thing theirself and actually start to help people who needs a help

You're shytting me, right?  You can't be serious.  We have people living on the streets, people who can't get jobs in our country and yet we send billions of dollars over seas.  Charity begins at home, my friend.  The seemingly best thing to happen recently was the moratorium on housing interest rate hikes, but there's flaws to that plan as well.

FWIW, as soon as I clear up $105 + S&H I will be visiting AmigaKit to purchase a copy of OS4.  I have two dead CyberStorm PPCs that I'm hoping can be brought back to life.

Even if they're both hopeless, I will be purchasing and holding onto at least one copy of OS4 Classic.  Primarily because of the hope of coming across a PPC accelerator to run it, but also because when and if I do, I don't want the OS to be sold out and have its price rocket up to the astronomical prices placed on existing PPC accelerators.

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
By the way, I kind of resent being labelled a "Mac fanboy" (not that I'm 100% sure what that means) for hoping that AmigaOS 4 will be ported to run on a Mac. The only reason people, including me, want this is because Mac hardware is available, relatively cheap, powerful, and is technically capable of running (a modified version of) OS4. If anything wanting this makes one an Amiga fan - not a Mac fan - for wanting some way of running AmigaOS!

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »
I concur. It isn't about Macintosh/Apple loyalty. It's about a cheaper and more powerful alternative to these A1s, etc.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 02:50:44 PM »
in that case porting it to x86 is better..
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »

The difference between writting a few drivers and a bootloader is huge compared to rewritting the entire OS for x86 and losing 680x0 binary compatibility.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »
orange wrote:

And how would PPC OS4 apps run if the OS was running on an x86 processor?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Hans_

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »

motorollin wrote:
By the way, I kind of resent being labelled a "Mac fanboy" (not that I'm 100% sure what that means) for hoping that AmigaOS 4 will be ported to run on a Mac. The only reason people, including me, want this is because Mac hardware is available, relatively cheap, powerful, and is technically capable of running (a modified version of) OS4. If anything wanting this makes one an Amiga fan - not a Mac fan - for wanting some way of running AmigaOS!

You, a Mac fanboy?  :lol:
A true Mac fanboy would never want to install Amiga OS 4 on a Mac.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
Just to bring up on the point about the USA and sending money abroad.  Compared to your national wealth you send less money to help other counteries than any other country in the world.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"