Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE for Mac, any good?  (Read 2124 times)

Description:

UAE for Mac, any good?
« on: March 20, 2003, 02:37:29 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here is using UAE on a PowerMac. After using a mac for 2 and a half years I'm fed up with the experience. I use OS 8.6 and like it in many ways, but at the same time find the Mac way of doing things rather brain dead compared to My Amiga. But cost is a big factor in upgrading the Amiga. Even the desirable used upgrades are very expensive.

I really miss the Amiga OS and the way it worked for me rather than me working for it. Magic Menu and ToolDaemon are the greatest plugins. And DirWork is my all time favorite utility.

So, anyone using UAE on a PPC Mac ?

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
Re: UAE for Mac, any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 02:59:58 AM »
i briefly tried the one that ships on the Amiga Forever CD on my wife's iMac, seemed to run fine but I never really used it long enough to break it or install many apps on it. . .

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com

Offline Billsey

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 04:05:14 AM »
I have it installed on my G3 accellerated PowerMac8100. I haven't been able to wrap my head around all the details of getting it to recognized things like CD-ROM drives and such yet. FracBlank seems awfully slow on it.
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 10:20:44 AM »
:-) I've installed UAE on my G3 Powerbook, and it works for some things, but it has problems.  The emulated clock runs ridiculously fast, and it seems that the floating point unit is not emulated, or something.  At any rate, Imagine will not run on it, though Magic Menu and Tools Manager work well enough, as do VisualPrefs and Birdie.

:-( I tried running PCX on MacUAE, (just for the sport of it, mind you.) but the Powerbook didn’t have enough real memory to give the Amiga enough emulated memory to run PCX.

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 11:26:55 AM »
MaxUAE is pretty good.

It currently lacks a proper fullscreen mode, and the mouse is sort of flaky, but games certainly run fine and Workbench is quite usable too.

Of course that requires OS X :)

Offline Bridge

• Show only replies by Bridge
    • http://www.ethicalwebsites.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi
I used Mac System 6 then 7 and found them too restrictive with the "you must do it this way" mentality all too evident. I'm well aware that in OS 8 and 9 this was still the case.

But as the new flat panel iMac is BSD based (I bought the 17" one) with OS X (as are the PowerMacs n portables) things have changed. Put simply, I consider the new OSX Macs a real, and available, alternative to AmigaOS (oh let the flame war start!).

Like many I'm after the A1 with G4 cpu etc but like many I also need to use modern USB + firewire + DVD-R etc hardware now, not in x months / years time. (and before you ask yes I have joined the Amiga club and paid my $50/£35 towards my new miggy and still intend to buy one).

OS X Aqua interface can be a bit childish in places but it is highly configurable and achieving the desired working environment only takes a bit of patience... and lets face it there are none who are more patient than would-be owners of the new Amiga!

With the power of *nix in the flavour of BSD behind the system the new Apple OS X machines really sing and dance.

I'm intending to get UAE up on the iMac as well. For anything it can't do I can always go back to my A1200/030 while I await the A1.

One of the particularly excellent things about the new Macs that is for me just soooo Amigan is the bedroom hacky coder is able to get down and dirty again - combining BSD + X11 + Aqua etc really does let you tweak, code and play to your hearts content (and the coverdiscs for Mac magazines are very Amigan in their content).

And that's without even mentioning that just like Amigans, AppleMac (especially OS X) folk are very pleasant and helpful people. If you're stuck they'll help. Amigas and Macians have a lot in common! None of the snotty "don't you know?" attitude found in the Wintel camp here!

nuff said my sandwiches are awaiting.
-bridge

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 02:14:14 PM »
The emulated clock runs ridiculously fast,

Dont know much about uae on the mac. But I had the same problems on a pc. If you check the 'Fastest possible but maintain chip timing' box under CPU this problem will stop on the win version
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!