Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your opinion on OSs  (Read 4204 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
Re: Your opinion on OSs
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 06, 2004, 02:17:25 AM »
Windows2000 is pretty good, but ONLY if you have decent drivers.  Lots of companies have a hard time writing decent audio and video capture drivers for Windows, which is where all the infamouse cracking audio problems come from.  I've used three systems with Win2K, and only one of them had audio that worked properly (nForce2 chipset).  SB Audigy still seems to have problems.

It was dual booting with win98 on the same machine. It was just amazing how much better BEOS ran on the same hardware as WIn98. Once again superior technology was destroyed by M$

I don't want to get off topic, here, but I was not impressed with Be, and it's little surprise to me why Be got smashed in the market.  It was fast, but had no substance, the interface was insufficient, and the web browser was so bad it made me cry.  Be also no longer boots since I switched my IDE cables around.  Now that I can safely say I tried it, I think I'll ditch it and try Mandrake Linux.

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 Linux and man is it slow.

Well, I just tried Gentoo, and that was a bust.  :-)

I just want a platform to learn how to write GUI code.  I tried that under Windows, and the GUI toolkits over there are either too expensive, or simply horrible.

BeOS's future still may not have been certain even if Microsoft had played fair, business-strategy-wise

Be relied too heavily on Apple clones.  When those disappeared, they adapted poorly to the PC way of doing things.

"Interface Hall of Shame - Misplaced Metaphors -"
http://www.umlchina.com/GUI/Misplaced.htm

That's nothing!  If you want to even *start* understanding how horrible today's GUIs are, buy this book.  The "war stories" alone are worth the book price:

GUI Bloopers, by Jeff Johnson

I'm not a big fan of the Interface Hall of Shame, either.  They rarely offer any slack for artistic impression, and the fact that people can learn such quirks very quickly.  Functional doesn't mean you have to be boring.

Offline helix

• Show only replies by helix
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2004, 02:29:41 AM »
Video editing - Windows 2000 Pro

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2004, 02:35:30 AM »
Why not use XP for video editing instead for win2k? It's the same.. except that XP is NT v5.1 instead of 5.0... ok, more bugs on XP but overall better performance when used as workstation only.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2004, 05:07:52 AM »
Why is XP called XP? OS X is just using the Roman numeral X and it meant to be pronounced 10 as in Mac OS 10, but people all over the shop are calling it Mac OS EX 10.2 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther. The second of which being the cheekiest move by Apple so far, asking for another £100 for what is essentially an upgrade from OS 10 to OS 10 with hardly anything done to it. :-x  If it was OS 10 - 11 I'd understand but this really gets my goat.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2004, 05:17:05 AM »
True Mike but there are hell of a lot of changes in 10.3 i would never go bak to 10.2  :-D

Offline peterwieheTopic starter

• Show only replies by peterwiehe
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2004, 03:58:53 PM »
PFG = Platform games?
By the way, all the meantioned games are exactly the games that the mainstream considers the best, but I consider them a little bit idea-less, unpretty, boring game-clones. Like 3D shooters, yet another battle or civilization game, and so on.
For that kind of Games Windows is the dominant platform.

Pasty-Faced-Geek? Pig-faced-gorilla? Hey, that could be my second names ;)

-----
I think BeOS was extremely fine in some aspects, but not great at all in other aspects. Especially when they intentionally made it not runnable on 99.9% of PCs. Everything older than half a year was fully intentional not able to run BeOS. So You had to a buy a computer which costs as much as an old car. That did break NeXT the neck, so it did to BeOS.

> I just want a platform to learn how to write GUI
> code. I tried that under Windows, and the GUI
> toolkits over there are either too expensive,
> or simply horrible.
Yes, nothing to learn fast and then write fast UI code, for Your own application. So when Win programmers are finally used to their IDE or to WinAPI, they have (as a natural process) adapted their way of thinking (as You do on Mac/Unix/Amiga, too). So all Win applications have this sort of complicated look, that is special for Windows apps. Even when it would be possible to make it simpler. Look at a small utiilitiy (for example a mail client or a decompress tool), and You can clearly see a pattern. So the OS has impact on Your style of software designing!

------------
Thanks for the book tip, investigating it further.

> I'm not a big fan of the Interface Hall of
> Shame, either. They rarely offer any slack for
> artistic impression, and the fact that people
> can learn such quirks very quickly. Functional
> doesn't mean you have to be boring.
He's talking especially the intrusiveness (can't be turned off, interrupts Your menu actions, bubbles over the loudspeaker etc). We don't need _that_ kind of entertainment.
But this principal can be applied more radical IMHO: "Boring" minimalism can be better than too "loud" art, not only for science and business work, but for creative work, too! _You_ want to create art, you don't want the OS to create art!
What I appreciate is a general environment that is aesthetical: good-looking, consistent, easy to comprehend/oversee/handle.
Artitistic impression is another issue [edit: another aspect of GUIs that is beyond the scope of Isys' Hall of Shame], Isys is already doing a good job with his site. Let's leave the artitistic impression issue to the many other GUI sites. Could be an incentive for You, to write Your opinions about this and put them on a website!

----
> [...] ok, more bugs on XP but overall better performance [...)
Bah , Desolator.
That exactly was what I were hinting at when I started the question. Smoothly runnning (besides good loook and easy handling) is important for me, when the system doesn't run smooth, I even can't _start_trying_ to produce some art that takes more than a few minutes. Maybe other people can.

--------
Mac OS X has a double meaing AFAIK: The obvious Roman number 10, but X, too. (X= X Windowing System)
MS officially says XP stands for Experience, and that it means the improvements made possible through learning a lot from the development work at the previous versions. (This can lead to endless sarcastic comments, including "The sold only beta crap until now". Maybe it'S good if we restrain a little bit about that or we drift in the well known "MS sucks"-cascade.)
Since WinXP was one of the aerliest OSs to take advantage of the AMD XP, it might have relation to that, too.
[Using UAE on Linux]

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
Why is XP called XP?

M$ meant it to be an abbreviation for the word "Experience".  Hence, Microsoft Windows "Experience".  Personally, I think it stands for "eXtra Problems".
Michael

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2004, 04:41:41 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
Why is XP called XP? OS X is just using the Roman numeral X and it meant to be pronounced 10 as in Mac OS 10, but people all over the shop are calling it Mac OS EX 10.2 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther. The second of which being the cheekiest move by Apple so far, asking for another £100 for what is essentially an upgrade from OS 10 to OS 10 with hardly anything done to it. :-x  If it was OS 10 - 11 I'd understand but this really gets my goat.

you'll find quite big improvements in each update actually, unlike certain M$ products  :roll:
this is where i think OS X has a big oppurtunity to take the lead of Longhorn
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2004, 09:40:09 PM »
Well, unless I update my Mac to a G5 or later model some time in the future I won't be upgrading my OS any further for the time being.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2004, 09:45:43 PM »
Amiga OS4   :-D
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline kevh100

• Show only replies by kevh100
    • http://www.kphonline.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2004, 03:10:45 PM »
@mike-amiga

XP stands for  Xeroderma Pigmentosum. Windows has a skin disease.... I mean... just look at the default GUI skin... Yuck! :)

Most XP installations experience problems in the daylight, maybe this is due to the XP disease.

Kev

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2004, 03:16:47 PM »
LCARS
Beating the dead horse since 2002.