Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 4898 times)

Description:

Offline LorraineTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
/

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Why are we at war?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »
honestly, its not worth fighting any war in the Amiga world.  Just stick with what you like. I love MorphOS.  I dont care about what goes on anywhere else with other "camps".  The less emotional investment you put into the Amiga world, the better off you are.  Pick what you like and just stick with it.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »
honestly I feel at peace when Im using my 1200..and I hope to one day try OS4.1 with Sam...really dont understand this flaming war nonsense :-?
If you love Amiga.. support it :pint:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »
it stems back to the programmers of the early era, someone else has the history lesson I'm sure, but morph created better computer opportunities when amiga was in disarray, then it stemmed into brand loyalty and what was a real amiga anyway. while "we" were struggling with the issue of speed, morph moved ahead and were enjoying the wealth of pegs,speed programs, ect.  Truth be told they carried the mantle of moving ahead for awhile now.  Though few will give it credit.

As for the war, why not? the more the merrier!  we got three new browsers out of it among other things, and if we be open, we will find something we like  i would even support the AInc move with AE on EVO  
http://74.125.93.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/news/article.php%3Fstoryid%3D3008&usg=ALkJrhgSgwNFxqsBQYvqWK0K7GrHVLAfJQ

if they could be trusted, but right now whoever has the best product, will be dominant! OS4 looks good now, but again morph is ahead, if they port to faster hardware.

feel free to correct me  :-?
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline Amithony

• Show only replies by Amithony
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »
A better question is why there are so many PC threads on an amiga site?

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »

Amithony wrote:

That's a good question! I think the answer is that because most of us...

-Got piss*d by the fact that the crappy PC is the only survivor (sorry, Macs are PCs today) and wants to believe the world could be better if anything else had evolved to today's technology level. (include me here, please)

-Had an Amiga as a main computer, but fell in love with a PC somehow

-Believes Amigas should be left in the retrocomputing scene beside Sinclairs, TRS-80s, C64s and Ataris (complete the list with your favourite) and we are a bunch of dreamers

-Wants to prove that his/hers favourite flavour of PC is better than the one used by others (Mac/Linux/Win/others...) and for some reason needs to do it everytime the words PC or x86 appears

-Got brainwashed by MicroSoft :-D

And the last, but the most important in my opinion:

-Considers the good people in this forum have huge knowledge about computers, are willing to help, and feels like he/she is among friends. (...yeap, include me here too) :-D

Offline Amithony

• Show only replies by Amithony
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:54:53 AM »

-Considers the good people in this forum have huge knowledge about computers, are willing to help, and feels like he/she is among friends. (...yeap, include me here too) :-D

Should we shed the name amiga.org for something more general then? What would you call it? Generaltech.org ? :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:56:02 AM »

Lorraine wrote:
My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Though this isn't to debate the issues that get us seemingly worked up, just why those issues exist in the first place.

This is like asking why there isnt peace in the middle east when they all worship the same god anyhow.

People who crave power lives off these wars, it's what gives them power. They can dictate the truth, create a following and eventually clash into open war with other groups. Split and rule.

I dont know much about the red camp, but in the blue camp they seem more keen on ridiculing the red camp than talking about their own problems. For example, in the SAM440 thread, bluecampers join in to ridicule both OS4 and SAM - en masse. What for? To show off their elitism ofcourse. Or do you really they care about what other people use their money on? I doubt it.

They keep pointing to various hardware that would be or is better/cheaper than SAM440 and say aCube should rather build something like that. Well, gee - so should Genesi. Yet we dont see the bluecampers raving around about the lack of products from Genesi/bPlan. Why not?

IMO the blue side should just STFU regarding OS4 and related issues, and rather focus on their own problems. The red camp I dont know so well, as blue camp hangaround I've only gotten to know the redcampers as dumbwits and children...  :roll:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
We were too short sighted in our day, now it's too late.

Enjoy what you have fella.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »

Amithony wrote:

Unless my A3000 is broke, I don't have anything Amiga related to talk about :shrug:

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 02:33:57 AM »
YAY AMIGA!
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 03:11:32 AM »

kolla wrote:

I dont know much about the red camp

Of course not. :roll:

but in the blue camp they seem more keen on ridiculing the red camp than talking about their own problems.

You haven't visited morphzone.org much during the time prior to the 2.0 release then, right? :roll:

But right now there isn't really a problem, the cheap but low power and low spec Efika is still available, and the Mac Mini port is about to be released (any year now! ;-)) which will bring performance (and price) never yet seen on this market! The Pegs are here since long, the Pegasos 2 G4 stands for quality and performance, and you could get a second hand machine if you pay attention! :-)

Anyone here could get a MorphOS system right now if they want to! :-)

For example, in the SAM440 thread, bluecampers join in to ridicule both OS4 and SAM

OK, since I am pretty much the only one in that thread that has raised any kind of criticism against the price/performance ratio of the Sam as well as the rather dubious legal situation of the Sam/OS4.1 combo, I guess that it is *me* (and no one else) you are talking about when you throw up a label like "blue campers"?

Please don't make generalizations like that! :evil:

Call me by my name!

They keep pointing to various hardware that would be or is better/cheaper than SAM440 and say aCube should rather build something like that.

And how am I wrong? Please discuss my arguments instead of {bleep}ing and moaning.

I put forward pretty much the same arguments when the Sam spec's were released for the first time. Since then many things has happened on the PPC scene, and my point in that thread was to raise the question whether the embedded 440 processor with lots of external controllers would be the optimal choice for the future?

Acube is designing a new motherboard. Is the 440 CPU really the best choice for the desktop Amiga it claims to be? Or could a simple two-chip solution based on either the 8640 or 8610 be a better solution?

Is the 440 CPU really better than the 5121e in a more "gadget like" device?

In what way will a €700(EUR) combo system "bring back the Amiga" on a broad scale?

And why am I so evil by simply raising these questions? :-?

Well, gee - so should Genesi. Yet we dont see the bluecampers raving around about the lack of products from Genesi/bPlan. Why not?

If you are still talking about me, you should have seen it!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »
Drama. People on here are human. It's all apples and oranges. All have their advantages and disadvantages. It really doesn't matter.

I wish that OS4 had MorphOS extensions, so it could run that software as well, since MorphOS can. Be even nicer if AROS could do it all. We can't always get what we want.
 :-P
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline 1985BMWK75

• Show only replies by 1985BMWK75
    • http://www.amigamaniac.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 05:21:46 AM »
@Lorraine

I think you posted after me about SAM. I don't have anything against non-Amiga's, or software simulators etc. Each to their own I say. Whatever you prefer to use (and can afford to buy), then that is great. If it makes you happy - then go for it.

I am mostly ignorant about what happened to Amiga after Commodore fell off it's perch, and what software and hardware came afterwards, to try and keep "Amiga" alive, and bring it into the 21st century. I have a vague awareness, so I'm not completely ignorant. I've glanced at some of the new hardware and software, but I am just not interested. I can't see the point in spending a small fortune on a computer that is more powerful than the original Amiga's, yet less powerful than a much cheaper modern PC (yet somehow much more expensive). I'm sure someone will say "yeah, but a PC doesn't have this or that feature..". Well, I just don't care, a generic el-cheapo PC has everything I could ever want or need.

Someone said something about elitism. I think that can come into it. Some people are veritable computer experts, and laugh at those of us who aren't as well versed. Others don't look down on less knowledgeable people, but share their knowledge, and help people out - these are the people that keep the Amiga community alive. Zetr0 comes to mind. Not everyone is so into computers (of any brand/type) to that extent. That doesn't make them dumb, or losers, or whatever. Just different, and maybe into other things, completely unrelated to computers and software. Are some people perhaps creeping over that fine line from passion, to obsession? :-P

For me, I would rather just use my PC's for the usual stuff. It's much cheaper, and they are so user friendly these days. But when I want that special feeling, I fire up my Amiga :-D But that's me, and I don't expect anyone to share even one of my views :-)

And like Lorraine, I can't quite grasp why some people will nearly abuse or ridicule someone (or actually do it). I know that there are provocative and annoying personalities out there, but responding in kind invariably seems the start the s**t-rain falling...

Nathan

Offline arkanoid

• Show only replies by arkanoid
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 05:42:13 AM »
tbh, I think the "war" is in your mind - it's there only if you wish it to be there. all I see is a variety of options availble - be it MorphOS, AROS, Classic AOS or AOS4 - all of which offer me the ability continue enjoying my Amiga hobby and all have their pros and cons.

I also, occasionally, notice a bunch of apparently delusional characters bickering on forums over which option is "best". I tend to ignore those characters and simply continue to enjoy my HOBBY because I don't find bickering very enjoyable.

PS: i just noticed Methuselas comment, i think i like him.  :-)
Peg2/G4/MorphOS
Amiga A1200/060