Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 4912 times)

Description:

Offline arkanoid

• Show only replies by arkanoid
Re: Why are we at war?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 05:42:13 AM »
tbh, I think the "war" is in your mind - it's there only if you wish it to be there. all I see is a variety of options availble - be it MorphOS, AROS, Classic AOS or AOS4 - all of which offer me the ability continue enjoying my Amiga hobby and all have their pros and cons.

I also, occasionally, notice a bunch of apparently delusional characters bickering on forums over which option is "best". I tend to ignore those characters and simply continue to enjoy my HOBBY because I don't find bickering very enjoyable.

PS: i just noticed Methuselas comment, i think i like him.  :-)
Peg2/G4/MorphOS
Amiga A1200/060

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »

Amithony wrote:
A better question is why there are so many PC threads on an amiga site?

Should we shed the name amiga.org for something more general then? What would you call it? Generaltech.org ? :)

I sometimes wonder if people do anything with other 'real' people in their real lives.  

I belong to a bicycle group.  Lots of talk about bicycles...imagine that :-)  But guess what... sometimes people talk about other things, like gasp, cars, or breaking wind.

Has anybody ever belonged to a car group like a Volkswagen club?  Yeah, it's like Amiga.org, lots of talk about Volkswagens, some people like Type IIs some like Type IVs, great way to find parts and get help building up your car or bus.  

And guess what you do being part of a Volkswagen club?  Much like Amiga.org you think Volkswagens are the best and you make fun of Chevrolet Corvairs, just like we make fun of Windows :-)   But guess what, people talk about other things than Volkswagens.  Volkswagens are a lot about air cooled engines and yeah a lot of people are into Chevy Corvairs too (also air cooled) some people bring them around, some people trade parts, have lots of knowledge.  And no one pisses and moans saying, damn it only mention the word Volkswagen.  People talk about all kinds of cars, because really while they may love VWs that also mean they're into cars.

If you're into Amiga.org and Amigas, well, they're may be a good chance people here like "electronics" or "computers".  

I'm not saying we should start posting news items about Windows etc, but if a fellow member needs help then that's what it's all about.  Wether it's with another OS or their kitchen sink leaking.

A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »
Lorraine wrote:
why are we at war with each other?

Because so many people are too immature to accept that different people like different computers.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »

motorollin wrote:
Because so many people are too immature to accept that different people like different computers.

Well said.

Also keep in mind that on the Internet, people's opinions always seem stronger and more harsh than what they are in real life...
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »
skurk wrote:

Also keep in mind that on the Internet, people's opinions always seem stronger and more harsh than what they are in real life...

Hi skurk,

My anti-micro crap and anti-windross venom is 100 times worse in person, seriously! I despise and loathe them.

What really gets me, is that they've earned billions and billions and billions of $$dollar$$$, have even said they've spent 1 billion dollars+ studying how to make person to computer interfaces/display layout work better (when they could have bought and used such a WONDERFUL OS as AOS for pennies on that amount), for such a detestable, useless, annoying, wretched, slow, bloated, inefficient, unreliable, putrid, incompetent, piece of crud!!!!

The xp UI is pure GARBAGE!!!!!!!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
Lorraine Wrote:

My question is ........ and why are we at war with each other?

Hi Lorraine,

Well, read MooBunny. They just won't quit. People like TakeMeHomeGrandma just won't quit bashing (he calls it bringing attention to "a better way").

They just go on and on and on......

Don't really know why, but I question their sanity.

At least, TMHG has been a teensy bit more constructive in the last 2 years, I'd say, however it's USUALLY, "buy a Peg/Effika, forgret AOS4.x".
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline 1985BMWK75

• Show only replies by 1985BMWK75
    • http://www.amigamaniac.com/
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
@Atheist

He he, I like how you express your hatred for M.S. :-D People expressing their dislike of something other than a person is quite ok I think :-) Well, in a public forum I mean. I would love to see what would happen if Bill Gates came knocking on your door, and you answered it... :lol:

I was once thinking once about the words micro & soft used together, and had one of those moments when you laugh out loud when no one is around. You know what it made me think of? An impotent man, with a teeny weener  :lol:

Nathan

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »

Atheist wrote:
What really gets me, is that they've earned billions and billions and billions of $$dollar$$$, have even said they've spent 1 billion dollars+ studying how to make person to computer interfaces/display layout work better (when they could have bought and used such a WONDERFUL OS as AOS for pennies on that amount), for such a detestable, useless, annoying, wretched, slow, bloated, inefficient, unreliable, putrid, incompetent, piece of crud!!!!

Come on, it's not that bad.  I'm not a Windows user myself, but I don't throw up when I'm forced to use it.  It's not intuitive nor professional, but it does pretty OK as a novice/gamer OS.

The xp UI is pure GARBAGE!!!!!!!

10 bucks says you wrote your post in Windows.

Did I win?  :lol:
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
@Atheist

Wow, you can still post here? I thought you were banned from all Amiga forums by now?

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
...NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN :-P
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Amithony

• Show only replies by Amithony
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

klx300r wrote:
...NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN :-P

This is true. I got into that age old piracy debate again. I couldn't imagine a world without Amiga software.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »

kolla wrote:

Lorraine wrote:
My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Though this isn't to debate the issues that get us seemingly worked up, just why those issues exist in the first place.

This is like asking why there isnt peace in the middle east when they all worship the same god anyhow.

People who crave power lives off these wars, it's what gives them power. They can dictate the truth, create a following and eventually clash into open war with other groups. Split and rule.

I dont know much about the red camp, but in the blue camp they seem more keen on ridiculing the red camp than talking about their own problems. For example, in the SAM440 thread, bluecampers join in to ridicule both OS4 and SAM - en masse. What for? To show off their elitism ofcourse. Or do you really they care about what other people use their money on? I doubt it.

They keep pointing to various hardware that would be or is better/cheaper than SAM440 and say aCube should rather build something like that. Well, gee - so should Genesi. Yet we dont see the bluecampers raving around about the lack of products from Genesi/bPlan. Why not?

IMO the blue side should just STFU regarding OS4 and related issues, and rather focus on their own problems. The red camp I dont know so well, as blue camp hangaround I've only gotten to know the redcampers as dumbwits and children...  :roll:

:roflmao: The Ironing in your post is delicious... I hope it was deliberate!

Offline amigaksi

• Show only replies by amigaksi
    • http://www.krishnasoft.com
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
>My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Each individual has his own desires so the communities that share a common goal can be said to be "united" else "divided".

I bet even the PC forums (big or small) are divided since some older PCs are better in some ways than newer ones, some older OSes are better than newer ones in some ways, etc.  People want things that make them happy (or think will make them happy) to exist eternally so Amiga lovers want Amigas to be backward compatible in every possible way to what they loved about the Amiga.  PC lovers want their PCs backward compatible with what they loved about their PCs.  Atari lovers want their Ataris backward compatible with what they loved about their Ataris.  

Then there are those that don't really "love" their computers but just a means to profit, adoration, and distinction.  For them, their caught up in the passion of getting the latest PC to fulfill their ambitions regardless of who it hurts, what damages it causes to the planet, etc.
--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com

Offline amigaksi

• Show only replies by amigaksi
    • http://www.krishnasoft.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
by skurk on 2008/11/8 6:45:02

Quote:

>>    Atheist wrote:
>>    What really gets me, is that they've earned billions >>and billions and billions of $$dollar$$$, ...

>Come on, it's not that bad. I'm not a Windows user myself, >but I don't throw up when I'm forced to use it. It's not >intuitive nor professional, but it does pretty OK as a >novice/gamer OS...

You can dislike a product and still use it.  The world is flooded with Windows based PCs that others can't even compete.  Might does not make right.  They are targetting non-tech. markets which are much bigger than technical programming markets.  If they targetted market for programmers, the OSes and computers would be much different.  I for one would never buy a PC (if I had a choice) that is bunch of hodge podge of cycles based on caching, power management, branch prediction, varous speed memory chips depending on machine, dynamic processor speeds, imprecise API calls (that may have various ISA-VESA-PCI-AGP hardware or software emulation behind them), etc.

I don't agree with Atheist since some people may not care about these factors and are happy with hodge podge cycles and not knowing what's happening in the background on their PCs.

>10 bucks says you wrote your post in Windows.

100 bucks that the PC would be better if there were hardware standards and things did not rely on probability and worst case analysis rather than cycle exactness.

--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com

Offline Amithony

• Show only replies by Amithony
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »

Lorraine wrote:
why are we at war with each other?

Because Amiga Inc just wanted it that way :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Enter The Sandman
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 08, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
We had the Red, then the Black, then the Blue, now entering into the ring, the gold.  I've been told to expect the first WIP ISOs around the New Year.  I'm hoping it will be both x86 and PPC.  2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community. :popcorn:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.