Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta  (Read 5784 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Re: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
this is sounding like Ubuntu's move from gnome to unity.  

I'm still on gnome because it does all that I want it to and I know it well.  I don't want to learn ANOTHER way to do what I now can without thinking.

Some will say thats like the people complaining about going from a CLI to a GUI.  I don't think it is.

Touch screen interfaces have their place where its cumbersome to have a mouse-driven and menu interface.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;682753
What?  Did the Apple mother ship release Bengal Tiger, already?

The man makes sense to me.

Win 7 should have been Vista Service Pack 3.   But Vista became a dirty word, so they said:" I know what, lets make them pay for something they should have got when Vista first came out, and call it something else".

And now MS wants to start the ball rolling again, this time wanting to make touch screen hardware as essential as a mouse.  

How many OS's will they be supporting with updates/service packs/ security concurrently?

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;682798
Trolling, but I'll take a teensy weensy bite.  I've seen this statement made more than a few times, and it's utter rubbish.  The kernel enhancements alone made in 7 are far more than just a service pack.  I made a lengthy post on the matter somewhere and I can't be arsed to find it.  Suffice to say: no, Windows 7 is not worthy of a simple SP moniker for Vista.

Depends on how you look at it:  If you think that the changes to the kernel in Win 7 ( I take your word for it that they exist) are so significant and could only have been implemented at the time when Win 7 was released, well and good.  But most people see the XP-->Vista "upgrade" as a broken failure.

My  view is that Win 7 is what Vista should have been.  

And MS knew it, which is why it rushed out Win 7 when sales of Vista were poor, in much less the time that it went from XP to Vista.