Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga One XE Status Update  (Read 4727 times)

Description:

Offline normTopic starter

• Show only replies by norm
    • http://www.normsland.co.uk/
Amiga One XE Status Update
« on: February 14, 2003, 12:57:28 PM »
Alan Redhouse has posted an email on the Yahoo Groups amigaone mailing list about the current status of the A1-XE. Please see the link below for more info...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amigaone/message/25045

--
Norm\\\'s Land:  http://www.normsland.co.uk/
Norm\\\'s MSN:  normanmg@hotmail.com

Offline Hondo

• Show only replies by Hondo
Re: Amiga One XE Status Update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 12:59:10 PM »
Argh damn.....can't stand those Yahoogroups links........well just my two cents for the day.  :-?

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 01:47:43 PM »
That's amazing.  He's still pushing the comparison between the crippled AMD Duron 1200 to the G4/800 as a good thing...  Apples and Oranges.

What he should be comparing, cost-to-cost, is his G4/800 solution against a real chip such as an Athlon XP 3000 (or even the outdated XP 2400).

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 02:03:38 PM »
@Wayne
It's just a way to make positive spin to announcement. Hard fact is that they are late (not a news, have happened many times before) and need couple more weeks to make it all OK again.  (and yes.. sounds familiar.)

Well.. we see what they are able to do in following weeks. Cebit is close and with current knowledge they have very little to show by then.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 02:23:43 PM »
i would belive that its more about , hey look our 800mzh is faster than the 1.2ghz , and that is a good point anyway as many of the people here really wants to know how it perform .

and if you say that the duron is crippled then i guess you said the same thing when it came back 1-2 years ago?

or maybe you expected the G4 800 to outdo an P4 4ghz setup? , if you are going to patronize anything then do it in a better way please.

sorry but i didnt find it funny.

anyway yes its abit late (by 10 days...) and i dont see the big deal here, 10 days aint much compared to 1 month or 3 months etc, its still feburary and my order email said feburary.

anyway i think they will have it ready at the cebit if thats what they are trying....

btw i am not trying to favourize any here, its from a outsiders perspective....well i tried anyway :)
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 02:36:49 PM »
Well i for one am pleased we can now compare to a (albeit crippled) CPU from a year (or so) ago as opposed to using a 15 yr old CPU (like me - 68030@25).
Anyway, I told a couple of Windoze-PC owning mates about HJ-F's comparison effort and they was gobsmacked. well two were gobsmacked, the other said - "thats only a cut down Athlon" (he then asked what SIN was). still beats a 68060 though :-)

Roll on end of march for my XE - about time I upgraded, wouldnt you say ?!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 02:57:46 PM »
anyway i think they will have it ready at the cebit if thats what they are trying....

I really hope so, but it's not encouraging to see none of their names show up under the Cebit exhibitors list.  I'm starting to think it may get pushed back to another Cebit, but that's just me.  Here's hoping I am completely wrong.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 03:00:19 PM »
Anyway, I told a couple of Windoze-PC owning mates about HJ-F's comparison effort and they was gobsmacked. well two were gobsmacked,

Dont forget that the friedens A1 has not got and Level 3 cache. The productions ones have.

@wayne

Who cares if the duron is crippled at the end of the day as it stands an  800Mhz A1 (in some benchmarks) is faster than 1.2 Ghz PC.
You could equally turn around a say well the A1 is crippled because because it only has 2XAGP and a max bus speed of 133Mhz.

So hopefully with the Dual G4, Altivec & L3 we should be reaching P4 2Ghz+ Performance
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2003, 03:08:03 PM »
@wayne

even the pentium 4 struggles to get near an amd athlon 3000+ xp chip.

maybe if they license amds stupid speed rating they could call it something that makes it sound good like the amigaone g4 xe 1600+. in england you cant even get the 2800+ so the 3000+ and 3200+ are going to be non existent in our country there will be more chance off getting my a1,unless you greedy americans can let us have some .
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 04:23:52 PM »
My point here is....

The 800 megahertz G4 is probably fine to run the scaled down AmigaOS of the hopeful future.  

That being said, Eyetech et al should not sit there and try and say "my state of the art 800 G4 (which is the highest you'll be able to get for the Amiga) is twice as fast as a crippled AMD chip which now the bottom of the line series".  Sure, the Duron was ok.... 3 years ago...  (For those of you who don't understand -- apparently a lot of you -- Duron is the AMD equivallent of an Intel Celeron.  It is bought by those who really just cannot afford the $10 extra dollars for an Athlon).

Anyway, the G4/800 is NOT the top of the line PPC where the speed is concerned, granted, but it would be far more appropriate to compare the Duron to a Motorola G3 while comparing Athlon XP to the G4.  Comparing G4 (top of the line PPC) to the bottom of the line AMD Duron chip is ludicrous and does NOTHING to promote the chip fairly.

It's called "marketeering".  By telling you that the 800mhz G4 is "twice as fast as a 1.2 ghz Duron", they are essentially trying to get you to believe that the XE motherboard is as fast as a 2.4 Gigahertz PC.  This simply ain't true folks.

You might as well go back to saying "my 50mhz 060 running AmigaOS is faster than my 300 mhz Pentium running Windows XP".  

By the way, I just got an e-mail from Krex.com who's selling Athlon XP 2100 chips (1.75Ghz) for $99.00 with heatsink and fan.  With a good ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard, that runs about $179.00.  

If you want to push your product, don't post innacurate comparisons.  End of story.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 05:37:51 PM »
It's called "marketeering". By telling you that the 800mhz G4 is "twice as fast as a 1.2 ghz Duron", they are essentially trying to get you to believe that the XE motherboard is as fast as a 2.4 Gigahertz PC. This simply ain't true folks.

Well, I didn't read it as "twice as fast", I read it as 2X the frame rate.  Not really the same thing as saying the CPU is twice as fast.  In my mind, when I read this it was interpreted as "Wow, they must have a good optimised version of Linux running on the A1"  But I guess people read things differently.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 06:01:35 PM »
Well, anybody in his right mind knows (possibly excepting most PC users) that benchmarks are highly misleading, especially across platforms and CPU architectures.

Sure, the Duron 1200 Mhz isn't the hottest chip on the planet but neither is the 7451@800 Mhz (especially without L3 cache at the time).

All we were saying is that we ran the same codebase compiled with the same compiler (GCC 2.95.3) and that overall the 800 Mhz G4 (without the L3 cache) gave the Duron 1200 a very sound thrashing.

This "real life" test measures not only CPU performance but also memory bandwidth and graphics card bandwidth.

This is by far a more telling test than most of those artificial benchmarks.

The same result can be obtained with the 750FX from IBM at 800 Mhz incidentally.

Substituting the Duron by an Athlon is not going to have the radically different results that you might expect as not only CPU performance is measured.

It's clear that the Motorola and IBM solutions will never achieve the economies of scale that the Wintel world has.

But then again, if you take a close look at the power-consumption of your average Athlon, you'll find that it is completely unsuitable for embedded use.

Powerconsumption on the PPC is only a fraction of what it is on your average Athlon/Duron/P4.

Throw in the vastly superior Altivec technology and you have an ideal solution for embedded multimedia solutions.

We need to push the AmigaOS into every possible niche and this is exactly the thing.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 06:05:31 PM »
The Gfx card is what makes the difference. For most normall applications, unless they're targetting workstations, a G4 at 1.3 is more than enouph, or a double G800 card.
Don't be like the people that buy an expensive  GForce4 Gfx card to do wordprocessing!
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 06:12:36 PM »
i got it wrong amd athlon 3000+xp is available in england and it cost a masive £499.00  so i wont be getting one not good for a chip that runs at less than 2.2 gig about as expensive a p4 at 3gig . i know what you mean a1 is very low spec and  speed for todays computing they should have used standard  x86 amd motherbords from a company like asus then the os could just been writen for that and no 2 speed agp we could have 8x and all the latest stuff.I have not got that much faith in amiga they have taken ages to get something ready and what has happend to the amiga de it does not seem to get much attention these days and the longer they take the more morph os users there will be and more people losing intrest in the amiga. The amiga will never be what it once was .I remember at school it was the only machine to have you were a somebody if you had one, now people just  laugh at you or think your weird or wonder why you would still use them.

out of date amigaone g4 xe on the way .
and seconhand amiga 1000 bought from ebay auction on the way bought as collectors item not for using cost 113 pound and is boxed not that it would do much wit only 512k of memory.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 06:46:47 PM »
Have to agree with HyperionMP here.

The 800Mhz G4 is an outdated chip. As old as the duron mentioned. A 3 year old PC had FSB of 133Mhz so this is a fare comparison.

So Mhz 4 Mhz Fsb speed 4 Fsb speed the A1 wins.

While it might not cost $99 its not made in 100,000's.

I dont feel like i'm being ripped of either.

My A500 in 1989 cost me £400 + £150 for an A501 mem expansion and its not 12" from where i type.

This is not the PC World. I'm sure Alan could have got 1.2Mhz G4's out of motorola but what if that pushes the price up by another £200 per unit ?
We are getting a trade off here. Potential loss of customers due to the price being too high for a resonable MHz level.

The Twin G4's will be available soon and i bet that will walk all over my XP1800, which is more that fast enough for my pc needs. Only just got rid of a K62 500Mhz
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case