Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion Releases AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6  (Read 1076 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Hyperion Releases AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
News from eliyahu

As mentioned over at IntuitionBase this morning, Hyperion has released AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6. While a couple of bug fixes are included for the AmigaOne X1000, this small update marks the end of an era: as promised by team lead Steven Solie at AmiWest 2012, we'll be able to enjoy OS component updates as they are ready via AmiUpdate. So, for example, one component update need not wait on another to be ready to available for customers. From the included AmigaGuide file:

Quote:

Future AmigaOS updates will be delivered using AmiUpdate. A new update server has been setup at update.amigaos.net to deliver these updates.

A new Workbench menu item named "Update software..." has been added to conveniently launch AmiUpdate.

Only registered users will be able to download updates. To register your AmigaOS serial number go to http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz. During the registration process a user name and password will be created. You will be prompted for your user name and password the first time you try to access the update.amigaos.net server with AmiUpdate.

An additional preferences program named "Updates" is provided to control how updates are delivered. For example, the location of the RollBack directory and scheduling of automatic updates can both be configured.

Head on over to the Hyperion web site and pick up your copy today!

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/

http://www.amigaos.net/

-- eliyahu
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Hyperion Releases AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »
Whats new in this update? Is there any kind of change log?

Couldn't find *any* info whatsoever in the PR?

And how is this new "distribution system" going to work really, I mean, ssolie said in his AmiWest speach that they were considering a new distribution model with smaller, more frequent updates (I guess this is it?) instead of bigger "releases", for an annual fee of ~$20 USD. Is this in place now, and is the fee $20 USD?

This PR raised more questions than it answered IMHO (didn't think it was possible to write this much text without providing any real information at all about any of the essential issues).

:confused:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
Post removed in respect for Eliyahu.  (and apologies for the double post/additional comment!)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:15:23 PM by Duce »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
@thread

please do not download the update at this time. i jumped the gun on the announcement -- the update is not final. if you have downloaded it, please do not install just yet.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline WeiXing3D

• Show only replies by WeiXing3D
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;716967
@thread

please do not download the update at this time. i jumped the gun on the announcement -- the update is not final. if you have downloaded it, please do not install just yet.

-- eliyahu

No wonder it was pull out from the page of Hyperion-Entertainment!
Amiga 1200 fully loaded by Aclii.
AmigaONE X5000 with OS4.1 FE
FPGA Arcade board in miniITX case with AmigaOS3.9 and WB 3.1.
MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, PowerBook & Power Mac G5
Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.1.1 &
MiST FPGA Minimig Amiga AGA Workbench 3.9 PFS3 configuration.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »
Quote from: WeiXing3D;716968
No wonder it was pull out from the page of Hyperion-Entertainment!

This sure bolsters the confidence of using AmiUpdate to allow Hyperion to push updates at random.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
@thread

-- eliyahu

Yo, thats awesome. the update is the update is not done yet.

zero details of what the update includes or does?

zero details about the coming soon new pay us for updates thing?

Hyperion must REALLY need revenue to pull something like that. How many AOS4 users are there in the entire world? How many will pay the 20$ a year ransom for updates?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:15:36 PM by haywirepc »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;716971
@thread

-- eliyahu

Yo, thats awesome. the update is the update is not done yet.

zero details of what the update includes or does?

zero details about the coming soon new pay us for updates scam?

Hyperion must REALLY need revenue to pull something like that. How many AOS4 users are there in the entire world? How many will pay the 20$ a year ransom for updates?
could you guys just back off? please? it was my fault there was any news about this. mine alone. not hyperion's. mine. there is no detail because they didn't announce anything. OK? can you get that? i saw a file and thought i'd share my find with my fellow amigans.

there is no scam, there is no update (yet), and there are no details, because they haven't actually released anything. how 'bout waiting for them to actually announce something officially before jumping all over them? honestly, i despise this site. :angryfire:

@Pyromania

please do not repost anything i post at other sites. ever. again. do you understand? i never want to see my words on this cesspool again. i deliberately do not post here because this site is filled with venom and you guys have done f*** all to stop it. you want to know why no one wants olaf's new developers site here? take a look at what is in this thread.

please either lock or remove this thread. if i had wanted to post any news here, i would have done so.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
Post removed in respect for Eliyahu.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;716973
could you guys just back off? please? it was my fault there was any news about this. mine alone. not hyperion's. mine. there is no detail because they didn't announce anything. OK? can you get that? i saw a file and thought i'd share my find with my fellow amigans.

there is no scam, there is no update (yet), and there are no details, because they haven't actually released anything. how 'bout waiting for them to actually announce something officially before jumping all over them? honestly, i despise this site. :angryfire:

@Pyromania

please do not repost anything i post at other sites. ever. again. do you understand? i never want to see my words on this cesspool again. i deliberately do not post here because this site is filled with venom and you guys have done f*** all to stop it. you want to know why no one wants olaf's new developers site here? take a look at what is in this thread.

please either lock or remove this thread. if i had wanted to post any news here, i would have done so.

-- eliyahu

+1

I really don't have enough likes for this. :pint:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
This thread went south fast, what a shame :(