Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga fails to boot, then after awhile works fine?  (Read 4172 times)

Description:

Offline part12studiosTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amiga fails to boot, then after awhile works fine?
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
Hi there,

So I had a scare the other day.  I go to turn my amiga on again (been off for several months) and it would just kick up check floppy with one click and then nothing..  so i open it up thinking of isolating issues.. removed accelerator.. backup clock hard drive..  

It's an Amiga 1200 with a 1232 accelerator, clock backup, 4gb microdrive.  I have a us power supply and a euro one.  I'm in the US so I favor the US one of course but i have a 220v converter box as well.  

eventually i got it to boot from a wb 3.1 boot disk..  and then it booted the hd. which before wouldn't boot alone..  then after a few times it seemed like it now will boot from hd again..  

Maybe the Amiga just needed to warm up a bit?  to be turned on but stuck in that locked up state?  Now it seems to be 100% again with everything plugged in etc..  

Any insight would be appreciated.  Maybe there is something I can do to service it before it becomes a bigger problem?  

Thanks,
Caleb

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga fails to boot, then after awhile works fine?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Ah ok cool thanks everyone!  Sorry had email trouble and didn't see the replies till just now.  Yea since that scare I've turned it on a few times and its' booted well.  I'll definitely make sure to use it more often and help keep it lively.

Thanks!
Caleb

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
I am very fortunate my amigas have been forgiving.  my main one from back in the day was stored for years at a time between usages and it's always come around but yea i've noticed a few times where I can see now that it needed to warm up.  

Thanks! :)
Caleb

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
cool i'll look into it for sure.  i know there are some services on ebay that do it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
I'm on the east coast of the United States so the guy in Michigan looks solid for me.  Price is reasonable.  Toughest thing for me is removing the board from the casing.. sounds a little scary.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »
Thank you for the offer.  I'll take you up on that.  I'm going to likely do this soon, but not right now.  I'm working on selling my 2nd (prettier) A1200 along with other accessories and music gear to think things out so my one keeper amiga can have the space it needs and insure it's in top health.

Might have a local buyer which is what I was hoping for since mailing off old computers just makes me uneasy.  

Removing that mother board is scary too.. are there any tutorials?  or maybe i should just ship the whole computer to be safe?  

Also yes I'm in the US.  :)  

Thanks,
Caleb

P.S.  Sorry about the slow reply, my email notification for this post went to my spam folder.  that has been fixed.