Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WiFi modem for all Amigas?  (Read 11277 times)

Description:

Offline JimDrewTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
WiFi modem for all Amigas?
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
I recently released the WiModem for the Commodore 8 bit computer (see: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58889)

I have had a couple of people ask if I would make a version for the Amiga.  I took a look and it would be fairly easy to make a version for the Amiga that plugged into the serial port (via DB25).  It could be powered by the Amiga.

This would give you a WiFi modem that you could use to "dial" up BBS's.  We are doing that now with the C64. I am not sure how many Amiga BBS's are out there right now.  There are dozens for the C64.

Is there any interest in this?

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: WiFi modem for all Amigas?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:49:08 AM »
This is a modem emulator.  It supports all of the standard Hayes commands.  You could select 19200-57600 baud and use JR-Comm and other terminals.

I could look at making a SANA II driver.  I do have some info from when I supported these drivers with EMPLANT and FUSION.

I think the PET user port is not the same as the VIC-20 and C64/128's user ports.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
The WiModem works with the VIC-20, C64, SX-64, C128, and should work with the Plus 4 (I just got one in to test).  I knew the PET didn't have power available, which is why I didn't bother adding it to the compatibility list.  With power added, it should also work.  The Plus 4 and PET might need the UP9600 hack disabled, something you must do when using it in C128 mode.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
Just an update, the WiModem232 is now in production!

This device supports ALL of the RS-232 lines (Tx/Rx/RTS/CTS/DSR/DTR/DCD/RI) so that you can use it to run a BBS.  Up to 115200 baud is supported (requires baudbandit.device or some other high speed serial.device replacement driver).

The WiModem232 is powered via a USB mini-B connector.  I have been using a portable iPhone charger (with rechargeable batteries) for testing as well as 5v wall wart.  This product is FCC/CE certified and comes with a lifetime warranty.

I expect to have these available next month.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:47 AM »
Yes, a ESP-12F module.

I have boards, but I am waiting on displays and more DB-25 connectors.   You can put your place in line now by clicking on the "notify when back  in stock" link.  I have decided not to make a plastic case due to the  cost and the lengthy delay.  I will be providing the 3D printer files so  you can print your own.  I expect to be shipping next week!

Thanks for your patience!

https://www.cbmstuff.com/products.php?cat=2

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
115200 baud works fine on a stock A1200 with baudbandit.device.  57600  works fine with the normal serial.device.   The WiModem232 doesn't have  the stock ESP firmware that uses AT commands for changing its settings.   This firmware was created by me, for this application (a modem emulator).   The WiModem232  itself can handle up to 4Mbps over the serial port, but the speed is  limited by the device's serial port.  So, Amiga is limited to 115200,  and a modern PC can use 230400 (maybe higher, depending on the serial port).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:04:23 PM by JimDrew »

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »
The WiModem232 plugs directly into your Amiga's serial port and gives you the ability to run a BBS using it because all of the standard RS-232 lines are supported (Rx/Tx/RTS/CTS/DTR/DSR/DCD/RI).

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
Quote from: dandelion;834396
I've been wanting to get my BBS back online for years. But what's the advantage of using this over telnet? I suppose one might be it's a lot easier to set up as the BBS program receives it's data through the serial port device as expected. Perhaps another is this doesn't take up any ethernet network bandwidth?

The advantage is that you just run your BBS software and that's it!  Your BBS software uses the same serial.device driver that it did using a real dial-up modem.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 04:31:31 AM »
Using the WiBridge PC software you can connect your WiModem232 to your PC wirelessly, browse your PC's directories and even transfer files either direction using Zmodem or Xmodem protocols.  This makes moving files to/from your retro-computer and PC a breeze!

http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=427