Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(  (Read 1919 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(
« on: November 24, 2003, 10:49:22 PM »
It's hard for me to believe that so much time has passed since the C= & Amiga glory days that father time is claiming alot of good computer users.

I just got a load of C= 8 bit stuff from the estate of a gentleman that apparently died of old age. Going through this stuff makes me a little uneasy just knowing how dedicated of a user he was. Apparently he helped run a local club and when the club folded, he took over the inventory. He was a C= user to his death.

Shame isn't it? It doesn't seem like that long of a time but it is. Old age is claiming some fine users:-(
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 05:41:33 AM »
The AD&D -> Amiga analogy runs pretty deep, and I'd launch into some paralells but I don't want to muddy up this thread or kick any sacred cows vis a vis the amiga community...

Amiga <-> AD&D <-> Star Trek all seem to be of general common interest among Amigans at least from who I have seen online during the semi-glory days online 1995-2000. All the Amigans I met were heavy AD&D players and major trekkies. Personally though I played AD&D a little as a kid, i was out of it by the time I got my Amiga. The fact that I never really liked Star Trek seemed to make me an outsider;-)

Back on topic a bit. I remember growing up the a good number of the adopters of computers were older gentleman, especially Commodore users. Makes me think how many really have passed on.. How much computing knowledge and enthusiasm is gone forever..  :-(

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 01:02:35 PM »
suppose what is really sad is that some poor guy's personal (and well loved) collection of computers is going to be divided up and sold to the highest bidder. It would be nice to keep it all together...

Well not really. The bulk of the items were sold in one big lot on eBay a few months back, one I got outbid on. I got everthing left over, which were odds and ends, no complete systems. Still everything was labeled and obviously well cared for. I'm sure the guy would have rathered the equipment go to good use and not end up in a landfill.