Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be  (Read 2849 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
I can't wait for the 68k port of Haiku to be in a usable state.  It would make a great alternative OS for the NatAmi/FPGA Replay machines.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667983
I'd love for the PPC port to be under active development again, but asking around on the forums it seems like nobody cares about it anymore... :/

Ditto, it would breathe some life back into some of the old Apple hardware I have cluttering up the house.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:32 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;668015
I have been playing with Haiku recently and I am simply surprised how little code it actually takes to create a UI window and work with it. It's really an excellent model as to how an OS should work. I am fairly impressed by it. I wasn't aware there was a 68k version of it being built.

Beautiful API isn't it?

Francois Revol is the guy working on getting it to compile and boot on the Aranym VM.

http://haiku-files.org/unsupported-builds/m68k/

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »
I advise installing Alpha 3 and then immediately installing a nightly build over the top.  That way you get all the apps that come with the Alpha and all the recent bug fixes and improvements from the nightly.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;668034
Doesn't Haiku require an MMU in the CPU?  NatAmi's N68050 won't have one.  I don't think the default softcore of the Replay board will either.

Yes it needs an MMU. The 060 would provide this if they allow a real CPU to be used in place of the soft core, like Yaqube's board for the Replay.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:28:20 AM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;668116
I like how OS X requires tons of resources for just basic operations. Very mature in my book! ;)

There is only one reason I tolerate OSX these days and that is Logic Studio.