Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 28932 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
But ask yourselves: WHY?
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
"NutsAboutAmiga" raises a very good and valid point in the "Change in Amiga.org ownership" thread over at AW.net (a thread that was completely *massacred* by moderator "Amigadave", who is also a moderator here, BTW).

He simply ask the question: WHY?

I think more people should do the same and ask themselves this question, and then try to answer it. I mean, it wasn't like Amiga.org was in need of "saving", there was no need for pity or charity, it wasn't like the site would have closed down without their intervention or anything like that. So why?

Not everyone agrees in that "NG" is real Amiga, not everyone agrees in that OS4 is the best "NG" solution (or that it's even a good, usable, stable, feature complete enough option at all), not everyone agrees in that PPC is a viable HW platform for "NG", not everyone agrees in that $3,000+ "NG" machines that builds on everything just mentioned is the way forward for Amiga (or a way at all). Some would even say that some or all of those thing just mentioned are actually *bad*!

But then there are stake holders in all those things, that has a *financial interest* in the success of them.

Matthew Leaman is a self-proclamed OS4 development sponsor, post Hyperion (and their unpaid developers who simply left). While not a stake holder in the OS4 IP (Right? Or is that the next "big announcement"? Are *you* the owner of the "X-kernel"?), he is playing it by the ringside, by investing in core driver and SW development for OS4, like modern GFX drivers, etc, etc. Given the current poor state of the OS4 project, he "is" OS4 today, his investments clearly makes him a stake holder, official or not.

Matthew Leaman is today also A-Eon, who owns the X1000/"Nemo" motherboard that is used as a core component in a certain computer system. His investments (and official role and position in the company), clearly makes him a stake holder in the particular HW offering (as well as future offerings) provided by this company.

Matthew Leaman is of course also "AmigaKit", who is putting together those $3,000+ "X1000" systems based on the "Nemo" motherboard. This (AmigaKit) was his first and probably the dearest ("Amiga" related at least) business of his. He is *the* stake holder in the system building and retailing business of the X1000/Nemo/OS4.

(Of course, in many of the above mentioning's of "Matthew Leaman", you could also blend in "Trevor Dickinson" to various degrees (degrees that may still be changing, not that it matters for the point of this post))

To summon it up, there is a lot of *financial interest* from some stake holding parties in the success of some very particular and rather narrow options in the "Amiga World" today!

The last piece of the jigsaw, the missing piece of the puzzle, is how the market *perceives* what's being offered! Where are purchase decisions being made? Where are consumer's information being gathered before a major investment?

--> ONLINE DISCUSSIONS <--

The by far biggest, oldest, and most "reliable" source of information and online Amiga discussions is probably: Amiga.org!

The takeover of Amiga.org is simply a move from strong stake holders of *one particular "amiga offering"* to gain control of the online perception of their product! It couldn't be anything else!

Some people ask: So you are going to place banners and advertising all over the place now? A rather naive question IMHO. Of course not. The point is gaining control over the database, over everything that has been said - and is being said - about what the stake holders are interested in (read above!). Moderation! Editing! Banning!

The last time we saw this kind of "involvement" from a strong financial stake holder, was when Eyetech/Hyperion wanted to promote their (original) "AmigaOne" system. They were strong financial stake holders in that particular HW/SW/OS solution. The only problem was that a competitor was way ahead, and had a far better product. They were many years behind the competition, so they played out the FUD card, and didn't like the response (here on Amiga.org). This caused the "exodus" to AmigaWorld.net, causing lots of Amigans to simply leave Amiga.org for this "greener pastures" that was "telling the truth", and where insane moderation policies was enforced.

This corporate "community takeover" was the explanation to how the "Articia S" became "*flawless*", how MorphOS became evil and had AmigaOS copyrighted material inside it (OK, I know that those claims were earlier than this, but they were certainly being repeated (under the moderators guardian)), how the Pegasos didn't have the MAI approved fixes (though bPlan were the ones providing the fixes to MAI in the first place), etc.

Posts disappeared, threads disappeared, user accounts disappeared. Everything in an ambition to *control* the community's perceived version of "truth"!

And they didn't even *own* the site, they didn't *own* the database! They simply had a force of very loyal moderators at hand!

This site is now owned and controlled by financial stake holders of an OS, Motherboard, and System provider, that that was first announced in 2009 (where "OS4 developments for it begun"), and as of present date they haven't been able to fully deliver according to the original promised specs!

Now they are setting the stage for the "NG of the NG" of OS4 thingies... The "Cyrus" (which isn't even using the controllers they have been developing drivers for, which means the driver situation resets to zero). Hence the Amiga.org purchase.

Since this "takeover" happened, we have seen what could only be described like an "Orchestrated Reverse Exodus" to Amiga.org. Which is kind of funny in its sadness. In my view, history is repeating itself, just in a different way, in a different direction.

Amiga.org has been here (there was another version previous this one) pretty much since the Internet became mainstream. It has always been *inclusive*, *tolerant*, and *open*. I have been a proud member since 2002, two years before OS4 was released in its first, *sad* state (I know, because I was a paying customer). I have always expressed a "different kind of view" here (in terms of OS4), sometimes very unpopular in some peoples eyes, and I have taken beatings for it. But now, I expect to be kicked out and banned. Maybe because of this post?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766425
- edited by mikeymike

And so it begins?

:confused:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: But ask yourselves: WHY?
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »
@usual suspects

some of these posts are absolutely hilarious. i would just suggest that, before we start running from imaginary black helicopters, maybe we just enjoy the forum as we always have? you know, wait for for all of this evil to actually occur before complaining about it? :roflmao:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;766493
morphzone looks like a good place to stay and if in concern of amiga there is still lots cool stuff going on on eab, in fact currently much more than here or on aw.net. its another safe place amongst others. so i dont think that it would hurt anyone even if amiga.org went down.

Something is missing. A site for Amiga users who favor AmigaOS 3 with RTG. EAB is very Kickstart 1.3 oriented although there are topics for power users.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;766496
@usual suspects

some of these posts are absolutely hilarious. i would just suggest that, before we start running from imaginary black helicopters, maybe we just enjoy the forum as we always have? you know, wait for for all of this evil to actually occur before complaining about it? :roflmao:

-- eliyahu

I think this post "@usual suspects" of yours is offensive! It also tries to neglect and *belittle* the questions that has been raised previously in this thread. Is this really the way things are going to be played from here on? By posting a funny "tin foil hat" picture as soon as serious questions about the site and its moderation are being raised?

And a note to you for the future: The "tin foil hat" picture is usually reserved for the Amigans.net people! ;) :p :) <- All kinds of *friendly* smiley's!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
@TMHG

no offense meant. i was trying to handle this with a little humor. i'm just suggesting that instead of blasting people for things you think they might do, maybe wait until they actually do something that bothers you? you know, give people the benefit of the doubt.

-- eliyahu

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;766496
@usual suspects

-- eliyahu

could you at least choose a more stylish one?

:P
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
@terminills

:laughing:

those are much better. :roflmao:

-- eliyahu

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2014, 12:25:05 AM »
And speaking of "tin foil hats"; How on earth do I log out from this site? I have pressed the Logout button, and received the "All cookies have been cleared" message, which is *a blatant lie*, and then I have tried to *manually* cleared the cookies, but somehow it doesn't work, somehow something always survives! I am always logged in, unless I'm doing some postings, then I'm suddenly *very* logged out, and have to log in again!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:51 AM »
@TMHG

i have the same problem. i don't know why this happens, though. need a vbulletin expert around here. ;)

-- eliyahu

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;766507
could you at least choose a more stylish one?

Historically, One of the most popular ways to get threads *quickly removed out of people's sight*, was to have a few controlled people posting several Off Topic posts in a thread. This rendered a "valid" reason for a moderator to remove the thread altogether as "off topic".

"could you at least choose a more stylish one?" *IS* off topic. And this could render moderators as "Amigadave" to delete..., well, whatever in the thread, according to his perceived view of... well, maybe "decency"? Fairness?

Maybe this was your intention?

/me putting on a *thicker* tin foil hat, the last one obviously didn't work!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
Quote from: itix;766498
Something is missing. A site for Amiga users who favor AmigaOS 3 with RTG. EAB is very Kickstart 1.3 oriented although there are topics for power users.

no.. eab is amiga oriented, hardware projects, fpga, asm, system libs replacement and optimization, okay c programming is lacking, none seems to be interested to help out with aros68k, so called power user are in minority, but here was no better. im fine to leave aorg to the so called "usual suspects" for whom amiga is actually called "classics".

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2014, 12:50:43 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;766506
@TMHG

no offense meant. i was trying to handle this with a little humor.

Careful now! :)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;766511
Historically, One of the most popular ways to get threads *quickly removed out of people's sight*, was to have a few controlled people posting several Off Topic posts in a thread. This rendered a "valid" reason for a moderator to remove the thread altogether as "off topic".

"could you at least choose a more stylish one?" *IS* off topic. And this could render moderators as "Amigadave" to delete..., well, whatever in the thread, according to his perceived view of... well, maybe "decency"? Fairness?

Maybe this was your intention?

/me putting on a *thicker* tin foil hat, the last one obviously didn't work!

It is totally on topic ... We're talking about the future of a.org. That discussion itself is a conspiracy theory.   That led to the tin foil hat which is people claim is worn by conspiracy theorists.   And then came my post which was merely about the fact that maybe some of those conspiracy theorists prefer to be stylish.  

Maybe it's you who is trying to derail the thread so it goes into the sock drawer?
/me puts on tin foil 10 gallon hat.

Anyway I figure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while.  Even if they have a certain person with a mod badge who I wouldn't mind if he rage quit and never showed up again.

On that note maybe that's why he's banning people over on awn to force them to post over here?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:05:36 AM by Terminills »
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline nicholas

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2014, 01:03:13 AM »
Quote from: mikeymike;766470
3k posts and this is the first time you've seen me?  New moderator, no.  I just haven't been around for a while and responded to a reported post.

Sorry, age is obviously degenerating my grey matter! :/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #89 from previous page: June 14, 2014, 01:10:56 AM »
@ Everybody who's concerned

Just relax, and maybe have some pancakes (or the breakfast treat of your choice). The Amiga.org sky isn't falling.