Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Web Portal Development Advice  (Read 2287 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaEdTopic starter

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
Web Portal Development Advice
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:08:32 AM »
Well, once again I find myself turning to the community of people who's advice I trust most!

I have a work related project which involves creating a simple customer feedback portal. Here's where it starts getting tricky...

1. Data used in the portal has to be read/written from several data sources including...
    SQLite databases
    Lotus notes databases
    MySQL

2. We already have an established IBM Websphere portal and most likely anything developed would ultimately need to be integrated into the existing portal. (While there are many things I don't like about the current portal, integrating this new customer feedback component into the existing portal would also keep the corporate look and feel consistent.)

3. While we have a person who could develop this portal using IBM's RAD (Rational Application Developer), I think I will have a hard time getting much of this person's time to work on this project... Therefore, I'd like to try to start developing on my own. I think if I could start working something up and demonstrate the feasibility on a test server, then I could get some more resources toward this project.

4. I'm not a web developer by any means, but I can code to some extent in a variety of languages and am usually pretty good at working things out.

5. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to convince the people with money to buy me licensed copy of IBM RAD at this point.

So, can anyone make some suggestions about what would be a good development environment to use and which would possibly allow for the future move in to the Websphere portal.

I've looked at Eclipse a bit and see how working with Java figures in, but what I don't know is if it's possible to produce a whole solution right from within Eclipse.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Re: Web Portal Development Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
So, I've spent the last several days playing around with Eclipse. I've come to realize that I've been away from Java for too long. It also seems to me that quite a few aspects of Eclipse are what I like to call a "Cluster ----". Far from intuitive.

I guess I'll press on and see if this starts making any sense to me.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:50:20 AM »
WOW... I know I'm new to this whole interweb-net-thingy stuff, but your first post has me total lost...

I thought to build a website like mine you just bought a domain name and used the built in point & click style editor that I use on mine... :)

(never realised folk actually write them by hand, so to speak... :) )

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:46 AM »
Quote from: Franko;587815
WOW... I know I'm new to this whole interweb-net-thingy stuff, but your first post has me total lost...

I thought to build a website like mine you just bought a domain name and used the built in point & click style editor that I use on mine... :)

(never realised folk actually write them by hand, so to speak... :) )

Interestingly enough, I guess this begs the question... in the end, how much does all of this really complicated layer upon layer of the bloated dynamic web bring to us then say a more simplistic static website.

(...and yes, I do realize that there is a certain amount of value to Youtube and other multimedia outlets. But how tiring does it get to suffer through poorly crafted, sluggish flash intros?)

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
The biggest challenge in web development is not writing code, it's writing code that scales. By which I mean building a system that can run on several servers, etc.

Abstract your database layer so that your middle layer of code doesn't really need to know whether it's MySQL,SQLite, or whatever. In that abstraction, consider aspect-oriented issues like cacheing. Memcached, for example, should be considered for data that is read frequently and updated infrequently.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;587828
Interestingly enough, I guess this begs the question... in the end, how much does all of this really complicated layer upon layer of the bloated dynamic web bring to us then say a more simplistic static website.

(...and yes, I do realize that there is a certain amount of value to Youtube and other multimedia outlets. But how tiring does it get to suffer through poorly crafted, sluggish flash intros?)

Although the server I use for my Website is to be honest a bit slow on the initial homepage appearing, to me the benefits of being able to create a site in what amounts to a point and click environment far outweighs this.

Plus for a small monthly fee my site is free of all those horrible adverts that slow old computers like this iMac down... :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;587828

Every time someone creates a website with a flash intro that you have to sit through before getting to business, a goat is molested somewhere.

Just saying.

Think of the goats.