Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64  (Read 4850 times)

Description:

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Re: OMG Commodore Invented WIndows 8 on the C64
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 04:01:43 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;732966
And I assume it never caught on because nobody liked the interface back then either.  :D

Lol, I liked Windows 8 so much I bought a Mac - very glad I did too! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:06:28 AM »
Quote from: djos;733038
Lol, I liked Windows 8 so much I bought a Mac - very glad I did too! :D

Macs are great whilst they work. Just wait for the crap to break. Then you will have to book an appointment with your Apple dealer for service.

Failures of my friend's iMacs

- HDD failure after 3 months
- DVD drive failure after copying 10 discs

I guess Apple has addressed the DVD failures by simply not including them in the new models! :laughing:

As for Windows 8 it is good to see that modern PC video chipsets are being put to good use on the start menu. NOT! If this is MS future direction they should bring back CGA graphic cards!!!
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »
There is a rumor circulating that the next release of Windows (8.1) will bring back the Start Menu.  I'm watching for the preview to drop in my TechNet.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 03:58:21 AM »
I saw a TV ad for Windows 8 tonight, and they're making a special point to remind people that the traditional desktop is still there. I think Microsoft finally recognize that Metro is a dismal failure for non-tablets and are desperately trying to repair the damage.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;733135
I saw a TV ad for Windows 8 tonight, and they're making a special point to remind people that the traditional desktop is still there. I think Microsoft finally recognize that Metro is a dismal failure for non-tablets and are desperately trying to repair the damage.

Shame.  95% of their customers could have told them that before the launch.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
It's still there, in a crippled, barely functional way.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 04:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;733136
Shame.  95% of their customers could have told them that before the launch.
That's the really hilarious part of this whole debacle, they completely ignored the public outcry over this in the - what, year and a half leading up to release? - and it's taken them another half a year and adoption rates just over half of Vista's to finally get it through their heads that even a $1.5 BILLION advertising budget can't force people to like the New Way...and that's assuming that that rumor is even true...

Idiots.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 04:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Megamig;733132
Just wait for the crap to break. Then you will have to book an appointment with your Apple dealer for service.

TBH my experience is the opposite, plenty of friends and family have bought mac's and are still using them 5 years later, cant say the same about PC's tho which seem to have a max useful life of 3 years tops!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 05:03:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;733138
That's the really hilarious part of this whole debacle, they completely ignored the public outcry over this in the - what, year and a half leading up to release? - and it's taken them another half a year and adoption rates just over half of Vista's to finally get it through their heads that even a $1.5 BILLION advertising budget can't force people to like the New Way...and that's assuming that that rumor is even true...

Idiots.

Yup. My guess is that they used a pool of beta testers that was not representative of their end-users and that either:
a) said beta testers were fully dosed with the proverbial Microsoft Kool Aid and continually reported "ZOMG IS TEH BEST EVAR!!!!!1111"
or
b) said beta testers' criticism was ignored by management people who thought they knew better

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 05:07:12 AM »
The W8 debacle can be lumped squarely on Sinofsky's shoulders.  I'm firmly convinced he was the one that was betting the proverbial farm on the Metro (now Modern, or Windows Store) UI.

That being said, the desktop aspects of Win 8 work just fine, just re-add your start menu with an app and force to desktop upon boot and you'll never see the tinker toy block interface again.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 05:11:26 AM »
Quote from: djos;733139
cant say the same about CHEAP PC's tho which seem to have a max useful life of 3 years tops!

FTFY.  If you spend the right amount of money on a PC, you'll have a machine which will last several years.  A $300 Wal*Mart or Best Buy special ain't gonna make it.

I build machines for around $1000 (and that's retail, I *do* make a profit, you know) which absolutely will last five years, and can even keep up with bloated software.  Of course, that's when the warranties run out heheheheh

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »
I do have to admit, one thing that I read about Windows 8 that I thought was kinda cool is that programs can have Metro and desktop interfaces compiled into the same executable. With "dockable" tablets becoming popular, I could appreciate walking around using Metro and having my screen and running programs automatically flip into desktop mode when I got back to my desk. Something about that struck me as Amiga-like. In the UI Style Guide, Commodore encouraged developers to include Shell, Workbench/GUI, and ARexx interfaces in their programs, to allow users to work with whichever interface they felt most comfortable.

It was some time ago that I read about this feature for Windows 8, maybe even during the public beta. I don't know if it's still even true. It certainly doesn't seem to be widely promoted or encouraged.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »
Prior Art!!!

I've read that the the Start button that is rumored to be in Windows 8.1 will be just a hotlink to the Start screen. Not really helping. The Start button could be so much better, I think if they made it context based. Only shortcuts to most used apps or/and user customizable. The OS would also be better off with a user select able tablet mode, desktop mode, and hybrid mode.   Not every one has a touch screen, especially now.

Offline gertsyTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;733145
I do have to admit, one thing that I read about Windows 8 that I thought was kinda cool is that programs can have Metro and desktop interfaces compiled into the same executable. With "dockable" tablets becoming popular, I could appreciate walking around using Metro and having my screen and running programs automatically flip into desktop mode when I got back to my desk. Something about that struck me as Amiga-like. In the UI Style Guide, Commodore encouraged developers to include Shell, Workbench/GUI, and ARexx interfaces in their programs, to allow users to work with whichever interface they felt most comfortable.

It was some time ago that I read about this feature for Windows 8, maybe even during the public beta. I don't know if it's still even true. It certainly doesn't seem to be widely promoted or encouraged.

Using a Win 8 touch screen device I groan now when I have to go back to the desktop. I used to curse "Metro" when I first upgraded my PC.  Mouse = Desktop. Touch = Modern UI. Having your settings backed up on windows live makes moving between devices a consistent bonus. It'd be sad if Microsoft dropped it for the unchangeable masses.
Dockable is so old hat. Bluetooth 3 or Wireless U. The way of the future. Add wireless charging and whammo.  There's a part of me that thinks if Jobs was still about the new iPad would have these capabilities.

PS: The ZX Spectrum app is fun.  Can't wait for the Amiga one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:08:09 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsyTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »
Quote from: Argo;733146
Prior Art!!!

....The Start button could be so much better, I think if they made it context based. Only shortcuts to most used apps or/and user customizable. The OS would also be better off with a user select able tablet mode, desktop mode, and hybrid mode.   Not every one has a touch screen, especially now.

The recent apps start menu capability has been in place since Vista (2006).
The second I agree with. The mouse pointer in the corner "non touch' interface is frustrating at least when compared to swiping in from the borders.

But we're off subject.  

I'm trying to upgrade my breadbox C64 but my 1541 just swallowed my Win 8 DVD and wont eject it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:16:39 AM by gertsy »

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 28, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »
Problem is Microsoft assumed that most would upgrade their computer thus getting Windows 8. Reality is the economy sucks, slow growth. So, people are keeping with computers longer, maybe upgrading it. If they do buy, it'll be better spec'd than what they have but low end. So none of those wiz bang features you mentioned. Basically, an upgraded version of what they had that runs Windows 8. Though likely not much of an upgrade save for graphics as required by Metro. Hell, I ran the alpha and betas on a 10+ year old computer and it ran as well as 7 and XP on that machine. Vista, that was a pig and it really showed on that machine.