Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FPGAARCADE minimig compatible board, comments?  (Read 33187 times)

Description:

Offline AJCopland

Re: FPGAARCADE minimig compatible board, comments?
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
I'm justing crashing out now so quick reply!

Great to see you getting this board done, I've been following your FPGAArcade site for a while and hoping you'd get this done (and the jaguar 2 FPGAs *ahem*:-D).

Could a 68k series CPU be put on a daughter card slot that you're currently planning to use for JAMMA boards or would there not be enough IO? I'm just thinking that TobiFlexs 68k is great but it'd be nice to have a hardware option or to allow for other 680x0 series cpus to be swapped in.

If it could have composite/SVHS as well that'd be good so that people could connect it to their regular TVs. What connector was used for the older hi-res arcade screens?

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
I believe, from his comments, that MikeJs board design is made to be able to emulate multiple platforms, either by using other cpus on daughter boards or everything in the onboard FPGA.

This means that, to answer your example: You could put a 68020 on a daughter board AND if you had an FPGA implementation of the AGA chipset that you could put into the onboard FPGA, then yes you could use it to emulate an A1200.

MikeJs earlier post was saying that because the FPGA he has used is much larger than the one in the MiniMig (3x larger!) it should be able to fit both the MiniMig OCS chipset and TobiFlexs tg68k into the FPGA together so this could become a good board for MiniMig projects.

However he's designed it so that it could be used for the implementation and emulation of many other systems.

That clarify?

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
I'd counter that the largest impediment to A1200 emulation on the current MiniMig v1.1 is the use of the 68000 rather than a 68020 or better :-D

The bit depth would only affect colour output rather than logical implementation whereas attempting to persuade programs made for a 68020 to run on a lower clocked 16bit data/address wide cpu would probably be an unsurmountable hurdle :lol:

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
@TheDaddy
They make a nice simple case for the first ones I'm building/built but I'd be interested in seeing what your case looks like.

The engineer I'm building them with has some interesting ideas for other things to add to them but we don't see any reason to go to a different form factor for now as most of the changes will actually save some space!

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
@TheDaddy
Hah sorry for confusing you. I meant that Wizards perspex sheets made a nice simple case for the first MiniMigs that I'm building up :-D and that I'd be interested in seeing you case design for future MiniMigs that we're planning.

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »
Awesome work Mike. I've been hitting your site every now and then to keep up with your progress. Would definately like one of these when you're done :-)

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
@freqmax, jkonstan, mikej:
Wow, now I know how my girlfriend feels when I'm talking about programming! :-D

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
Not me but "Zetr0" over at the EAB probably does. I think he had a bunch of them for a project he / rkauer were doing for the A600. (if my memory serves me correctly)

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »

freqmax wrote:
AJCopland, Ans she feels.. "hmm.. better find another boyfriend" .. ?  :-D

:roflmao: probably, but I've learnt over time that when she starts to get a glazed expression it means I've been talking about the details of coding again :-D

Andy

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Wow really neat job you've done one that board! It's looks like very close work with the density of those parts.

I know people get better at that with practise but it's still impressive.

Andy