Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS  (Read 19320 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
I noticed that! :)

The Intel Mac that the guy on Ebay shipped me by mistake had one, so I expected this model to have one...

No such luck!!!

I'd take time here to threaten Mr. Job's life, but...

Nature already beat me to it.

May he rest in peace.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
Geez man!!!!

I left off at 2.7, now I am using 3.1 for the first time...

It's seductive. Sure, MorphOS failed us musicians, but MAN, did they really excell in all other areas!

This is NICE!!!! VERY Professional!!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
I have been making music with computers since you could. I started with an amiga 500 and protracker.

Eventually, I moved to pc but hated windows. After I found aros I thought thank god, I can move my music production to a sane os.

Problem being, NO amiga os has the tools really necessary to create great music tracks today. Now yes some will argue you have milkytracker or noisetrekkr and so on, but those can not compete with any windows app that uses dx and vsti plug ins, and audio evolution is okay but not exactly pro tools or cubase. After trying for awhile I decided I was just limiting my tools. I couldn't getg my work done,at least not without major work arounds and alot of wasted effort, so much for coming full circle with my music projects...

So I say, leave windows or osx for your music and video production needs, and leave your amiga for everything else.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
It is not helping regarding MorphOS of course but perhaps you can use Aeros

http://www.aeros-os.org/

You could ask Phoenixkonsole regarding what you need for your work

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700354
The whole situation.

A: That I first got an intel Mac, had to ship that back, then wait longer for a PPC Mac propper.
 This of course has nothing to do with the MorphOS team, but it added to my frustration seeing as I was psyched to replace my dead eMac and take advantage of all the new features of MorphOS 3.1

B: The fact that Apple insists that they are so artistic and innovative. That they sell a piece of software for musicians called Garage Band, and yet....

...with their smallest most space friendly model, which you would think would be perfect for musicians, they fail to include an audio in port. I wonder how much that saved them? 2 cents?!?!
 OS X users can of course buy a cheap USB sound card and problem solved, but still that is lame. :/

So how is all the above MorphOS fault? Surely its Apples?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline kolla

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700373
Geez man!!!!

I left off at 2.7, now I am using 3.1 for the first time...

It's seductive. Sure, MorphOS failed us musicians, but MAN, did they really excell in all other areas!

This is NICE!!!! VERY Professional!!!!

Really? I upgraded from 2.7 to 3.1 and have not noticed anything new and revolutionary.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
Sound recording is somewhat problematic with amigoid system, mainly because the AHI recording API is quite limited.

MorphOS USB support could always be better of course.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Thats the same kind of problems I had with AROS, if I just want to edit with a tracker (milky, octamed or noisetrekkr) its fine, so long as I have a huge selection of samples, loops and instruments already loaded on the machine.

The problems come when you want to actually record new samples, vocals, guitars, drumloops, make new instruments or edit a sound already on the system beyond the trackers built in sample editor or instrument editor.  I dumped stuff back and forth for a long time and finally just said forget it...

I still occasionally track demos on my aros box but once its a basic track, I have to use windows or linux to do the real work of making it a finished track.

I don't recommend any amigoid system for actual recording anything or editing samples/sound design work, or mastering but perhaps thats just been my experience.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »
I'm supposed to be able to record in AROS with my SB Live, but all it produces is noiz and not the good noiz either, just static. :)

Of course everyone else seems to be devoid of these issues.

I have trouble shot everything per AROS-exec, and still nothing.

So far all my best music apps remain on my classic Amiga.

OctaMED SS and HD-Rec.

Anyhow though the MorphOS team did not make Apple's hardware, I do feel that they should put MorphOS' audio, midi, wireless, and USB to the top of their priority list.
I mean if people are developing music software for their OS (audio evolution, hd-Rec, digi booster 3), and people are willing to buy these products (ok two of them are free now) not to mention pay for MorphOS, then the very least the MorphOS team could do would be to make sure that everything is fully supported, hardware, software, and all. Otherwise it's like saying,"we don't care what you write for our OS, we won't help make it work better infect we don't care how much money you put into this, it will be ready when it's ready."

Which reminds me of the AROS motto and not the motto of a commercial product that people are supposed to e convinced to buy.

All in all, the Amiga was always known as a media system, so why aren't next gen Amiga OS' putting media and creativity in the fore front?!?!?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:12:59 PM by XDelusion »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;700377
I have been making music with computers since you could. I started with an amiga 500 and protracker.

Eventually, I moved to pc but hated windows. After I found aros I thought thank god, I can move my music production to a sane os.

Problem being, NO amiga os has the tools really necessary to create great music tracks today. Now yes some will argue you have milkytracker or noisetrekkr and so on, but those can not compete with any windows app that uses dx and vsti plug ins, and audio evolution is okay but not exactly pro tools or cubase. After trying for awhile I decided I was just limiting my tools. I couldn't getg my work done,at least not without major work arounds and alot of wasted effort, so much for coming full circle with my music projects...

So I say, leave windows or osx for your music and video production needs, and leave your amiga for everything else.

I'd rather use an ST than PC :laugh1:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700462
So far all my best music apps remain on my classic Amiga.

OctaMED SS and HD-Rec.

Seriously, have you tried using the Maestrix on your MorphOS system? It might be all you need to get OctaMED SS working. It works perfectly well on my equally classic-harwareless A1 with said utility.

I'd be interested to know the results.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:39:42 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
Yep, unlike OS 4 it crashes the system. I brought this up to the MorohOS guys before, but they don't seem to care enough to look into it.

Guess my investment into their OS don't count.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700475
Yep, unlike OS 4 it crashes the system. I brought this up to the MorohOS guys before, but they don't seem to care enough to look into it.

Well it doesn't seem likely to be caused specifically by hardware bashing, otherwise it'd never work on the A1 either. The only issue I have had with it in OS4 is that on my A1200 (ironically) the timing is sometimes out by a constant factor (not varying at least) and needs the tempo adjusting to correct. I thought this might be down to how the EClock is handled being as it's 15MHz on my BPPC rather than the ~709kHz that it is on the same machine running 3.x, but of course, the EClock rate on my A1 is 33.33MHz so probably not that either.
int p; // A

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700475

Guess my investment into their OS don't count.

MorphOS Customer Service Memo

haha I miss that site. :)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 01:57:30 AM »
Quote from: Piru;700403
MorphOS USB support could always be better of course.

Is that in the pipeline?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 18, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;700479
MorphOS Customer Service Memo

haha I miss that site. :)

Funny funny, and sometimes that certainly seems true, but MorphOS (aside of the beef I'm having in particular) is quite polished, is pretty well documented, and I have received friendly help mostly.

Also, Fab has always seemed to listen to the users, I can say that! He's a good man. :)