Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15235 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;652964
I don't know why but i can feel the emotion that has gone into the Nemo boards and this wants me wanting to go out and buy one because of this :)

More than what i can say about the C64X... :(

For me it's exactly the other way around; I think the new Commodore 64 is a really cool product with some personality that is also usable for real, while this x1000 is just... well, redundant!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
Quote from: Franko;652986
Obviously you aint right in the head... :)

The C64x "COOL"... aye right... and so's my grannies old phonogram that I added a few LED's to so that while it gouged me old records to death at least it flashed some nice wee light while doing so... :rolleyes:

Why the frig is something "redundant" if it does run poxy Windoze or Crapple software !!!

It's an AMIGA it's meant to be different not another friggin piece of same old crap that you can buy in any high street store just to run bloated and naff software on... :)

Stick to you're overpriced C64 emulator and leave real computers to the rest of us... :D

The X1000 is standard PC components on a PCB inside a *generic PC case* sold at a *ridiculous high price* to brand name followers.

The C64X is standard PC components on a PCB inside a *very cool custom case* sold at *a quarter* of the X1000 price to brand name followers.

(Come to think of it - Having to run OS4 seems to be a suitable punishment for the people actually stupid enough of buying into the first option ;))

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:23 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;653090
Really? By an X1000 today and sell for a profit in a few years time.

You know, the second hand market for OS4 hardware hasn't exactly been rocketing, we have that black on white. I doubt many people have sold their gear with profit, it's more like they should be glad if they find someone to buy it at all. Not that strange either, when pretty much all potential customers that happens to be interested in OS4 for some reason, has such a great interest in it that they already bought their gear for it (meaning: a great deal of the whole potential market already bought it). At $2500+ only the most extreme OS4 extremists will buy it (those who would buy anything with a boing ball slapped onto it, at any price, no matter what they get for their money). When these people bought it (how many, 100? 200? 300?), the market will be completely saturated. And if you *really* believe that at that point there will be such a strong demand from the "second hand market" after that point, that it will push up the price far beyond those initial $2500+ so you can make a profit on it, then I'm afraid there is something very fundamental you simply don't understand.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:01 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;653093
The C64X is standard PC components on a PCB inside a *very cool custom case* sold at *a quarter* of the X1000 price to brand name followers.

2) Erm...selling to brand name followers? You are a very confused person...CUSA anyone?

(I'm quoting myself now, to see if you will see it yourself...)

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:00:52 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653096
Don't throw stones if your house is made of glass, we are all Amiga fans and we shouldn't be quarreling, its like Vanilla vs. Chocolate, or maybe Toyota vs. Mercedes. Why do people buy a Mercedes?

Ah, a car analogy, how original. OK, I'll play along. Sure there are people buying Toyota Yaris cars, and there are people buying Mercedes SLK cars.

But you won't find people paying the Mercedes SLK price for a Toyota Yaris class car, buying from a car manufacturer that has proven incapable of providing the most basic support for important features a new-car owner in 2011 would expect, like breaks, transmission and instrumentation. This is X1000, and this is Hyperion with their OS.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653098
I'm no X1000 supporter, but I missed the part where a PowerPC CPU is "standard PC components..."

Well, it was exactly that during longer than a decade, and the fact is that this very CPU was designed for potential use in year 2007 level Apple laptops, so you are wrong. But in a way you are right; the PPC doesn't even qualify to neither "PC" nor "Desktop" anymore, that era ended half a decade ago (today PPC is used for routers, printers, cars, etc). And if this is your criteria for "being Amiga", then there is something fundamentally wrong. I don't say that standard PC components would be bad in any way, rather the opposite actually, it's the only way to go. But don't pretend that the x1000 would be something it isn't; IT IS a motherboard with BOG-STANDARD PC CONTROLLERS, offering very little (anything at all?) over a 2007 level PC (which probably even used the very same controllers). So when some people are claiming that the C64X is "bad" because of it being "just an overpriced PC", but the x1000 isn't, then there is some serious confusion in the air, especially if you look at the very cool and nicely done C64 case vs. the x1000 bog-standard PC case, and especially if you think the "overpriced"  part over one more time.

If you want new, exiting *Amiga* hardware, you should take a look at the "Natami" project... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:36 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;653123
If you are going to start expecting "Sensible Actions" from the Amiga crowd now, you are living in a dream world.

(by the way, I agree that Hyperion made a huge mistake by not completing the work to port to the G4 MacMini.  They could have had it finished long ago and would have 2 to 4 times as many OS4 users right now.  After the disappointing results of comparing OS4 to MorphOS on the same hardware, the Pegasos2, maybe Hyperion did not want to port to another machine where more comparisons would be made that would make OS4 look bad).

+1

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 05:36:36 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;653104
There is a reason I have takemehomegrandma on my ignore list here..........

Yeah, keep your tin-foil hat tightly glued on...

:lol:

Edit:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:40:47 AM by takemehomegrandma »