Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quantum leap towards computer of the future  (Read 3593 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Quantum leap towards computer of the future
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
By Rosanna Ryan

Updated 10 hours 50 minutes ago

Breakthrough: an artist's impression of a phosphorus atom (a red sphere surrounded by a blue electron cloud) coupled to a silicon single-electron transistor (College of Fine Arts, The University of New South Wales: William Algar-Chuklin)

An Australian-led team of scientists have taken a big step forward in the race to develop a quantum computer.

Quantum computing relies on harnessing the laws of quantum physics, which includes laws that apply to particles smaller than an atom, in order to get a computer to carry out many calculations at the same time.

Previous research has focused on using light, or materials other than silicon, in their work on quantum computers.

But the team, led by engineers from the University of New South Wales and the University of Melbourne, have been examining the properties of electrons embedded in silicon, which is cheaper, better-understood, and forms the basis of most electronics today.

To build a quantum computer, researchers need to be able to write information to an electron, by changing its "spin state", and to read information, by measuring its spin.

In an article published today in Nature, the researchers say they have cracked the second part of this puzzle, by creating a device that measures the spin state of a single electron in a single phosphorus atom inside a block of silicon.

"What we have demonstrated in this Nature paper is the ability to read out when the electron is in some random state," said co-author Andrea Morello.

"The next thing is to prepare it in exactly the state we want it."

Dr Morello's co-author, Professor Andrew Dzurak, says after a decade of work it is a special moment.

"Quantum computers won't speed up all day-to-day computing," he said.

"But there are three areas where we know it will be much faster: cracking most modern forms of encryption; searching databases; and modelling atomic systems such as biological molecules and drugs."

Professor Andrew White of the University of Queensland, who was not part of the research, says it is an "outstanding result".

"The whole world is exploring technologies to build quantum computers," he said.

"The team have made the key advance of showing they can read out information from these spins in a single fast measurement that faithfully transmits the information."

"This opens up the road for silicon quantum computing."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

Re: Quantum leap towards computer of the future
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
And it's just a few years ago that they discovered the secret of splitting the beer atom! :D
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
Quote from: persia;581504
By Rosanna Ryan

Sounds more a Quantum Lunch article, plenty of untangled sentences and quasi truths with plenty of mustard to fill it out. Not unusual faire for a ex-features hack with a lack of substantive knowledge.

Lets change the title, Lackluster leap to computer boredom. Today, scientists untangled the web of quantum computers by establishing that no matter how you cut it, quantum states and quantum entanglement are just a short sentence off an insanity plea.

Whether us mere mortals, can grasp that, each state is subject to the entanglement of any other or that Heisenberg was a Nazi, yet he is thrown a cue to appear every time someone thinks they actually understood the subject explains it all.

If Heisenberg was an uncertainty surely his mock science is too. Roll on Quantum computers, I'm certainly getting bored paying taxes to research it. Time to put up or shut up!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:08:39 PM by Boudicca »
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »
You have to give these nutty professor guys something to do, it help keep them off the streets and out the pubs where they can attack you ears with verbal diarrhea. :)

Having said that I notice your complaint about paying taxes to fund these guys, I'm not big on geography but isn't Nottingham in England ! or is the wicked sheriff still around gathering taxes and shipping them off to Oz, reckon you best go look for a certain Mr Hood in the woods to sort out your tax problems. :)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;581508
I'm certainly getting bored paying taxes to research it.

It never ceases to amaze me how people complain about the cost of scientific research whilst living lifestyles that rely upon it.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;581504

"The next thing is to prepare it in exactly the state we want it."

So now the real work begins.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Franko;581511
You have to give these nutty professor guys something to do, it help keep them off the streets and out the pubs where they can attack you ears with verbal diarrhea. :)

Having said that I notice your complaint about paying taxes to fund these guys, I'm not big on geography but isn't Nottingham in England ! or is the wicked sheriff still around gathering taxes and shipping them off to Oz, reckon you best go look for a certain Mr Hood in the woods to sort out your tax problems. :)

Didn't you know Nottingham is the centre (English spelling) of known universe when it comes to quantumnessness.  http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/News/ExpertiseGuide/Experts/F/ProfessorTomFoxon.aspx

I nerded that nugget from Google another supposed sucker of the spintronic revolution.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
WOW... I'd hate to meet him in the local boozer... (help me ears are bleeding...) :)

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:06:13 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581529
It never ceases to amaze me how people complain about the cost of scientific research whilst living lifestyles that rely upon it.

Science fund away.....Voodoo Hoodoo research into the plainly silly no. (Bouddy loves quantum physics but I am agast at the cash cow post-cold fusion generation of re-re-researcherasses who predict 75% likelyhood of a quantum state being measured by a tea driven atomic vector plotter, think its progress)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:08:54 PM by Boudicca »

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Its like yesterday. Breaking news, someone managed to create a bit using one atom using a "electron microscope", as if any time soon someone will manage to condense an electron microscope and its chiller unit down to the size of a convenient pocket size Iphone.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581529

Government funded research in most capitalist countries does little to advance our lifestyles. It mostly advances the scientists lifestyles. Most scientists are largely out for headlines for their next grant.

R+D in real commercial type companies does further our way of life.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;581542
Its like yesterday. Breaking news, someone managed to create a bit using one atom using a "electron microscope"

The electron microscope only allows you to see what you are doing. The job itself was done with a "Tunneling Electron Micrograph".

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;581508
If Heisenberg was an uncertainty surely his mock science is too. Roll on Quantum computers, I'm certainly getting bored paying taxes to research it. Time to put up or shut up!

It's about time they give up on that flying thing, too. It's contrary to common sense and complete rubbish. If God wanting us mucking about in His domain, He'd have built us a space elevator. Why do you think the lost tribes of Israel settled on the center of the earth?

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;581544
Government funded research in most capitalist countries does little to advance our lifestyles. It mostly advances the scientists lifestyles. Most scientists are largely out for headlines for their next grant.

There's not much in terms of technology we use and take for granted these days that wasn't originally developed by or with funding provided by NASA.

For-profit businesses employ scientists, too. Some of them are even allowed to--*gasp*--publish their research.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;581544

Rubbish! You've actually managed to annoy me with this statement. A grand unified theory is necessary for a true understanding of our world and the advances in this field come from government fuded sources. From the papermate pen and odour eaters to advances in aviation safety, all are derived from government funded space research. In fact NASA alone has filed over 6300 patents in the US and even produces a jounal (Spinoff) that highlights the diffusion of these patents into everyday items. Quantum research has resulted in more efficient fuels, batteries even improvements in the laser technologies used by optical drives. Do I need to go on, I could ram this point home but a google search on the benefits of government research would do just as well. Or try NASA and the Institute Of Physics own websites.
As for commercial ventures, they also give us intensive farming techniques for pigs that have resulted in devastation for many of the US fish stocks and lets not forget philidimide. Never loose sight of the fact that companies serve only to increase cash flow for shareholders, this brings us benefits at times but it also serves to pack our food with chemical crap and make drugs for fictitious mental illness among other ills.