Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 40534 times)

Description:

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
Quote from: ronniebeck
I am personally for Open Source.  Companies come and go.  Developers too.  And when they go, the knowledge and source code sometimes go with them.  Ope source could preserve that.

I am quite ambivalent about the prospect of open source for AmigaOS.

On the one hand, it is pretty difficult to argue against the points you make in favour of it.  If nothing else, the preservation factor alone is a huge positive.  Then there's the potential extra contribution that it could draw from software developers in the wider community.

I think we would need the open source project to be at least controlled by a trustworthy organisation for it to have any chance of success.  You still need decision makers, even on an open source project.

But here's where we run into a big problem, I think.  If history is anything to go by, it will prove very difficult to get groups of people in the community to agree on things.  The development roadmap for AmigaOS would be a pretty potent source of disagreement, I think.
If that happens, you'll end up with a separate group of individuals, unhappy with the direction/progress of the current open source AmigaOS stewards, breaking off and developing their own fork.

Before you know it, we're back to an 'us vs them' issue on the two forks.  Maybe an 'us vs them vs others' if there are even more forks.

You can see how this could end up quite messy quite quickly.

Do you agree with this concern?

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
I would rather see AmigaOS take same approach as HaikuOS - https://www.haiku-os.org/about/ and I also see Claonto as a much better equivalent to Haiku Inc than Hyperion can ever hope to be.

From their website:
The project consists of a single team writing everything from the kernel, drivers, userland services, tool kit, and graphics stack to the included desktop applications and preflets.

See, this is exactly what I think wouldn't happen if AmigaOS were simply made open-source.  We'd end up with a bunch of different 'teams' all thinking they know best and taking the OS in their own directions in multiple forks.

Thomas' suggestion of the foundation approaches a good compromise, I think.  You would need to have some entity in charge of the AmigaOS development otherwise chaos would ensue.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
Of course they are doing it for money. This is not about "liberation of AmigaOs" or whatever someone may consider in their dreams. That's just a story Cloanto sells, for the same reason as Hyperion: Hoping to attract developers to jump on their bandwagon, and do the work for them.

Of course Cloanto is in the business of making money - as are the majority of us, to larger or lesser extents.  Ultimately, money is the medium through which we house, feed and better the position of our families (and/or ourselves).
Most of us have to continually make money in order for the show to go on.  Other, more fortunate people, eventually have enough money that they can afford to fund their lifestyle and interests without the requirement to earn any more.

Some people (like myself, actually) have a very blurred line between what is considered working because they have to, and what is considered working because their job is satisfying an interest. 
Unless you're in the position where you literally don't need to make any more money, then having a nice blurred line like this is about as good a compromise as you're going to get.

So when you say Cloanto is in this for the money, I'd agree.  When you say it isn't about liberation of AmigaOS or other such fanciful things, I don't think I can necessarily agree because those goals are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

It's possible, is it not, that Mike Battilana is a core AMIGA fan first, and a money earner second.  Running Cloanto is the means by which he keeps his family happy, and also sustains his very expensive interest in the betterment of the AMIGA platform.  Having his cake and eating it, so to speak.

Now, I've never met Mike Battilana so I am not claiming this is the case for him.  But I am offering to you that this is a possibility.  Indeed, not so outrageous a possibility given that most software (or hardware) development companies could almost certainly make more money outside of AMIGA circles these days.

So I guess I take a less cynical view on this point.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
Is it naive to believe you worked on 3.1.4 for "free" as well?
What do you want to imply? That I'm lying? Thank you so much.

@Kremlar: In harmless forum interactions with people why not take them at face value, unless you have a good reason not to?

Thomas' claim to have worked for free - published numerous times on a public forum - would be easily (and I imagine quickly) falsified by an employer if it were a lie.  Given that there has been no such rebuttal, it seems very unlikely that Thomas is not telling the truth in this matter.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre