Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wing Commander  (Read 3637 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Wing Commander
« on: August 23, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike 
Bad port.  Just noticed on Wikipedia that a 256 color CD32 version was released a year after the original Amiga port.  Wonder if that is any better?

Yes, the 256 colour version is A LOT better especially with the WHDLoad optimisation with at least a 030/50 processor. The A500 version runs at a playable speed on an A1200. The A500 should NEVER have been a porting candidate for this game and people who wanted Wing Commander and Doom should have upgraded their Amigas not expected decent performance from these demanding PC game ports on a A500!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Wing Commander
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:59:03 PM »
@blakespot

So now I try both versions of everything I want to play, that I used to run from WHDLoad always.

Well in the case of the CD32 version of Wing Commander it's a patch as much as a hard drive installer. The CD32 Akiko chip was used as a Planar to Chunky accelerator but the game had a small but significant error in the software code (a bit like Aliens: Colonial Marines A.I. code) and hence ran like a dog. The error was found and the game was patched to run well with accelerator instead of the Akiko. Hence, the WHDLoad version is the definitive version of this game!  8)
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios