Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t  (Read 8240 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:47 AM »
The future of Windows, ladies and gentlemen!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;688177
Not unless my 40 XP Pro licenses get stolen from my house :lol:
Heh, true that...come the end of active support, I'm making a fresh install, getting all the updates, and then imaging it for future use...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
The other problem with that line of thinking is that Microsoft, in attempting to enter the phone/tablet market, is going up against two well-established competitors, both of whom have more experience with it and are just plain likely to be better at it than them. Android and iOS dominate the market; what the hell is Microsoft going to offer that would sway someone to abandon their existing tablet or smartphone for a glorified Windows Phone 7 (which, I'm pretty certain, has less market share than VTech "learning computer" tablets)?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
Quote from: JJ;690300
Desktop version dont have to use metro and from what  I have read there have been some pretty big improvements in response times and the overall speed of the OS
Could someone confirm or deny this? Everything I've read says you don't have to use Metro software and can switch to a loosely desktop-ish environment, but you're still stuck with the Start screen and the desktop in general's been nerfed.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Quote from: partycentralpartygirl;690331
I am not a fan of losing the start  button, I predict there will be a skin or utility released seconds after  the win8 launch to put the start menu back.
There already has been for the Developer Preview, but Microsoft disabled it for the Consumer Preview. Says a lot, really.

Metro is kind of silly, I hope serious applications do not use  it. I know that the software I use will not transition to metro since  the software is written (and still being maintained surprisingly) with  14 year old IDE. Though I do not get the updates, the old software still  works.
That's the real question...Microsoft are certainly pushing the idea of  Metro as The Future Of Windows, and they're trying to force the issue by  allowing only Metro software in the Windows Store, but unless they go  so far as to disable desktop software in future updates, it's going to  come down to whether developers feel like learning a whole new UI that  it's not even certain people will want...

Quote from: Duce;690333
Why don't people just try W8 consumer preview in a VM rather than spread FUD about it, lol.
Because not all of us have decent hardware for running VMs? I mean, I could try running Bochs on my Eee, but with the performance I'd get I might get all of halfway through the install process before giving up...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
Quote from: persia;699961
Yeah, there's probably six legal copies of XP left, they should rename it  Windows Pirate Edition..
Says a lot that with two newer versions, eleven years later, it's still one of the most-pirated OSes...