Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t  (Read 8247 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Nokia made a big mistake, in deep sh*t
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »
Quote from: hooligan;688310
Nokia N9 cant be that bad:

I WANT TOO!!!!

I have one, and it's awesome!  All the little tweaks and hacks people are making for it simply rock.

Though in a comparison between my N900 and my N9, I'd have to say it's like the difference between the Amiga and Windows.  In that with the Amiga there are all sorts of little hacks and tweaks that you need to get it to be perfect.  The N9 is more closed off, so you can't tweak it as much, and it seems to be more 'commercial' than the N900.

Perfect example are the 'Applications' that are free and open source on the N900 are generally for .99 on the ovi store under the N9.  Though some of this is because the developers simply want donations and there are other methods (the repositories on the net) to get the same programs for free.

I kind of prefer this method.  

The best thing about both of them though as that you can develop for either (plus Linux and Windows) with the Qt SDK.

Elop basically screwed every Nokia fan over with the 'burning platform' memos, then his announcement only 6 or so months after Nokia had announced their MeeGo plans with Intel and the Linux Foundation.  

They had something going with MeeGo+Qt, but Microsoft had to screw it up like they do with everything else in the industry.  Well, now Nokia is burning because they went with WP7, and Microsoft has outright stated that WP7 is not upgradeable to WP8.  So much for the 'burning platform' eh?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
The problem with that line of thinking is that a huge majority of Microsoft's profits are from corporations.  No sane IT guy is going to be using Windows 8.  Then again, there are morons like the Windows Administrator that I work with that will probably want to use it.

Then again, this is the same guy who, when explained to him that he needed to run some virus scans on a particular person's workstation after I had discovered some suspect emails originating from said workstation stated "but he wasn't even here Friday."

Seriously, this man should be put on trial for being dangerously idiotic.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
Quote from: persia;690266
Maybe some of the folks over at XDA could port Android to the N9 and make it usable...

The NITdroid group is already working on it.

slaapliedje

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
Quote from: persia;690296
@kickstart Meego is dead, it's successor Tizen was still born.  If I wanted an OS for my phone that had no apps and no future it would be hard to choose between WP and Tizen...  The smartphone market is divided between Android and iOS.

Odd, I go to the Ovi Store and there are quite a lot of Apps for it.  EA even ported The Sims 3 for it.

I love my N9, and a co-worker really wants one too, but he wants the 64GB version like I have, but doesn't want to spend the 600 or so for it.

It's a sweet phone, and I'm still debating whether I want to bother putting Android on it.  Majority of Android 'Apps' that I've seen are worthless to me.

slaapliedje

Additionally, they already have an Amiga emulator running on it too :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:55:59 PM by slaapliedje »