Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga in Your very cellphone  (Read 7168 times)

Description:

Offline darksun9210

Re: Amiga in Your very cellphone
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
while an emulator would be good fun for most of us here, for the "joe schmoe" in the street, running an emulator, maxing out your phone's CPU to play a game is not a good move.
most people are used to not charging their devices once a day. if i stream video over 3G to my phone via orb, i'll get maybe 45 minutes battery life?
i use my blackberry as an MP3 player, and i'm ... not doing much at work... so to speak, so its playing constantly. that plus surfing the web on it on the train to/from work, or mucking about with its satnav means it needs a charge at least once a day.
but say someone nails together an emulator bundled with .. i dunno.. micromachines, or something equally as silly, and after 20 minutes of driving little cars around, they've lost 50% battery, and the handset is rather toasty. that is not going to go down well as a mass consumer idea.

that has to be the main reason behind native ports of games.
plus to run quake on my phone, i wouldn't want to have to load an x86 emulator and run it through that. sure i'd do it for a laugh, but then i'd see how slow and crap it is, and forggedaboudit.

i'd love UAE for either blackberry or symbian, but i don't think it's going to happen mass market untill at least the CPU power to watt ratio changes drasticly.  :-) untill then it'll remain in the relm of the "nerds"

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.